Inserting Objects Into Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By IBBaking Updated 2 May 2016 , 2:50am by IBBaking

IBBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IBBaking Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 12

Would anyone be able to tell me how to insert objects into fondant lets say snowflakes as if they're coming out of a cake or just slightly tucked into the cake. May be a no-brainer but I'm open for any ideas or suggestions I'm thinking a simple slit then pushing the snowflakes inside just to hold it into the cake will do.

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 12:49am
post #2 of 12

That will work. :)

IBBaking Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 12:56am
post #3 of 12

Thank you.  I hope so, expected to have cascading snowflakes down the sides of a 4 tier cake..... 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 9:01am
post #4 of 12

Depending on how you're making them -- you could make an extra little tab on some of them so the whole snowflake would show even after you apply/insert it into the cake 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 12

What are these snowflakes made of?  Royal  icing will get damp and break off if pushed into a cake. As k8 suggests, make a spike/tab to insert out of fondant attached to the back of your decoration.

IBBaking Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the response... the snowflakes are made out of gumpaste..... pretty solid. 

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 12

Solid yes - when kept dry - but...........they still will absorb moisture from your cake when they are inserted.  

IBBaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 12

So will the gumpaste eventually get soft if inserted into the cake? 

kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 12

I believe so.  Do you have time to do a test?  I'd take any little piece of gp and cake to test it out.  I'm sure if the piece is really well dried the length of time will be less but eventually it will soften.

IBBaking Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 1:04am
post #10 of 12

That's what I was going to do. Test a little peice and see if it will remain solid. Thanks. 

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 10:54am
post #11 of 12

If the snowflakes are to be flat on the surface, like, all points attached to the side of the cake, then I would just "glue" them on, and no need to worry about them going soft. If I have some fondant decorations that need to stick out, and have the opportunity to do on-site assembly, then I use picks, or tabs, to stick them in at the serving location. Helps with transport, too, to have them protected and dry in a separate case. 

In my experience, they all will go soft, and may droop, if are refrigerated, or in contact with cake surface long enough. But I also had them to hold shape long enough to serve, the ones that I let REALLY harden over a long time.  Then once the cake is cut, doesn't really matter. :-)

Even worse, is humidity. I had a wedding cake once nearly ruined, because the facility did not have adequate AC, and the choices were between a humid refrigeration, or hot and humid outside! Nightmare!

IBBaking Posted 2 May 2016 , 2:50am
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much.. another thought to consider.  I'll have to see what I can do. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%