Boxes For Tiered Cakes

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 6:02pm by cakingandbaking

joeyww12000 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 9:37am
post #1 of 6

What kind of boxes do you guys usually use for tiered cakes? Do they make boxes for those or do you have to improvise and put them together yourself? I haven't really seen boxes for single tier cakes that have tall toppers either.  The other day I had a single tier cake with a tall topper and I put together two Wilton boxes, but that cost me $5.00. I don't want to have to spend that much on boxes. Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies
Singerssoul Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

My 2 to 3 tier stacked cakes are placed into the box that fits the bottom cake board and i cut off the fold over top.  I have a special plastic sterlight box that I purchased just for stacked cake delivery.  The cake actually sits on the inside of the lid with the the clear plastic bin portion over it.  i usually line the sides with my ice blankets to keep the cake chilled when I deliver.  I know several local bakers who do use clean shipping boxes to box up tiered cakes that go out.  You have some options depending on whether you are delivering or the cake is being picked up.  With pick up, I incorporate the cost of the packaging in the cake quote.  With delivery, I do not charge for the sterlight, since that comes back with me,  but the actual cake box and delivery have been included with the cake cost.

cakingandbaking Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

I do the same as Singerssoul. I buy shipping boxes from Office Depot/Office Max (depending on the size and quantity you purchase, they're really affordable; I get mine for less than $2/box) and package them following this tutorial: 

Here is a link to the specific boxes I purchase:

This is the most cost-effective method I've seen. They're not pretty, but as long as the cake is beautiful, no one cares about the box! I try to make the boxes a little more pleasing to the eye by printing out my logo and taping it onto the box along with directions about how to open the box and store the cake.

kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 6

I know to some this is going to sound awful but since I started back in the 1980s things like this were never mentioned.  I never boxed mine.  I made sure my car was clean/vacuumed and laid down a clean white cloth.  

kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6

Forgot to mention....... I don't see where these shipping boxes are any cleaner option.  Who knows where they have been, who has handled them or what kind of varmint has crawled all over it?? :(  They are not meant to be holding food any more than a clean car.

cakingandbaking Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 6

Kakeladi I think that is a perfectly valid method of transporting cakes! I've done this in the past, and it especially works well when you stick a piece of non-slip rug pad or a silicone potholder under the cake board.

To me the idea of using a shipping box is not so much for cleanliness - I just want to make sure that nothing touches the cake (for example, I don't want to accidentally stick one of my fingers in the frosting). It makes it easier to hold the cake too (carrying a large box vs. trying to hold onto a cake drum). As far as the cleanliness of the boxes, as long as you're using brand-new boxes (which is the only thing I use and recommend), there should be no issue. If you're re-using a shipping box, yes, chances are it's not the cleanest. However, either way, the box is probably not going to make contact with the cake, frosting, or decorations anyway so to me it's not a huge concern :) Obviously everyone has to use their best judgment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%