Alternating Size Tiers Wedding Cake Help!

Baking By Anisha_B Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 4:09pm by Anisha_B

Anisha_B Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:22am
post #1 of 3

900_alternating-size-tiers-we_987945571da9a31bb29.pngHi! I just got my first wedding cake order and need some advice on how to properly execute the cake.  The bride wants the design pictures above.  I'm not sure if I should use cake for the small tiers in between, or if I should be using styrofoam dummy cakes.  If so, where would I get the dummy cakes that are that short? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! 

2 replies
Fabricake Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 9:56am
post #2 of 3
I was recently given that photo and asked if I could do a bigger and light gold version of it. Have a look in my photos you'll find my version of that cake on my first page.
I used a 12, 10, 8 and a 6 inch cakes and they were about 4.5 inched tall. For the smaller separators I used  10, 8, 6 and a 4 inch polystyrene dummies that were 2 inches tall. As the cake was so tall and there would be lots of children running about I decided to put a lot of structure in it just to make sure it stayed standing.
I cut 2 (a 16 and 14 inches) base boards out of MDF and countersunk a hole in the bottom bigger board and drilled a hole in the centre of both boards and then screwed the two board together. Ice the boards and leave to dry. Cut a piece of metal stair rod an inch or so shorter that the total height of your cake (remember to add a little extra height for a layer of ganache and fondant on each cake) Attack the rod to the base boards very securely with a nut and bolt on the top and the bottom. Drill holes the same size as the stair rod in the centre of cake drums (must be drums not boards) the same size as the cakes (12, 10, 8 and 6) and in cake boards the same size as the separators (10, 8, 6 and 4) be as accurate as you can at finding the centre as this will make all the difference when you stack the cake. Also drill holes in the centre of the dummies (very messy, best done outside) glue the dummies to there matching cake boards, use a bit of rod through them both to make sure the holes are lined up. Cover the dummies with half and half fondant and sugar paste and when dry paint or spray in a matching colour, I did try using ribbon around the dummies but the colour didn't match perfectly. Stick the cake drums to the cakes and ganache and then ice with fondant covering the edge of the cake drum, trim the excess and level with the base of the drum, It's really important that each cake is level at this point, when dry decorate. Dowel all the cakes and the dummies (I use dowel bought from a local DIY store and I cover it with a bubba straw, much cheaper that way) Mark the centre on the top of the cakes, just so you know that when the put the cakes on to the rod that they are going on straight. . Gently lower each layer down the rod and use white chocolate to "glue" together, as it dries quickly you may need someone to help you hold each tier up as you put the chocolate on. Remember to cover the rod with a bubba straw on the cake layers. I can not stress how important it is to check that each tier and dummy are level before you go on to the next, there is no where to hide any mistakes when your doing this cake!! I only stacked two cakes and dummies and did the rest at the venue, I had a few extra sequins to hide any bald spot and to cover the base edges once the cake had been stacked. I don't know whereabouts you are from (I'm from the UK) but to find the dummies, I just did a search for round polystyrene cake separators. Hope that's of some help and not too confusing!! Good luck.
Anisha_B Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 3

Fabricake, thank you so much for the info! It definitely helps! Thanks again!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%