Very Specific Gold Piping

Sugar Work By thecakeflower Updated 24 Apr 2016 , 4:29pm by kakeladi

thecakeflower Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, friends! I have kept up with Cake Central for several years, but this is my first post. I have a very specific client and although I have searched everywhere online, tested in my own kitchen with luster dusts and airbrush colors, watched scads of tutorials, and scoured these forums already, I have not found EXACTLY what will give me these results on the gold piping:

http://www.brides.com/wedding-cakes/2000000002783836

It looks very much like this particular gold color was not piped and then painted, but just piped directly on. I've been studying it for some time and I'm nearly positive. I've seen the luster dust recipe on here and tried that and although the piping was okay, the color was absolutely NOT okay. Anyone done something like this? Anyone found a brand for super bright gold, not the bronze-ish tinted ones I've used for years?  I appreciate it!!

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 2:03am
post #2 of 6

I bet if you mixed some gold rainbow dust edible paint into royal icing you could get a gold-colored royal icing. But it's also possible to paint it with a very small brush. It might be painted even if it just looks piped. I've never had a good result from mixing gold luster into icing.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:35am
post #3 of 6

mix it with piping gel and a bit of confectioner's sugar -- 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:43am
post #4 of 6

it is beautiful with non-toxic non-edible gold dust -- but i never usee it with the edible gold dusts available now -- it might be worth trying

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:44am
post #5 of 6

*used

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 6

Long before the controversy about gold dust not being edible I made this one.  I bet it's what you are looking for.  As has been mentioned it is gold dust mixed into piiping gel.

Simple 50Th Anniversary Sheet on Cake Central

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%