Cake Help

Baking By jlmiddleton74 Updated 21 Apr 2016 , 2:35am by kakeladi

jlmiddleton74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmiddleton74 Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 12:51am
post #1 of 8

I need advice big time. I am baking my wedding cake on the 28th of may so I still have plenty of time. Here is my question. I am doing a 3 tier can 10 inch, 9 inch, and 8 inch. 2 - 10 on bottom, 1 - 9 middle, 1 -8 top.

The boxes are either 15.25 or 16 oz each. How many boxes would I need for that in total? That is the last thing I need to prepare for. 

The cake amounts are the only thing left. Thank you for your time.

7 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 4:14am
post #2 of 8

I don't know whether I am being dumb here, but I don't understand what you mean by the box weight?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 5:22am
post #3 of 8

O.k. each 10"x2" Round pan used one cake mix.  Your 9"x2" round also uses one mix.  The 8"x2" round uses one mix but you get to make a couple of cupcakes with the bit of extra batter.  I'm not sure if by 2 10s and 1 9 and 8 each you mean tiers or layers.  Are you making the bottom 10"er a double barrel (10"x8") or setting them side by side w/the other 2 tiers stacked centered on top of them.  The # of mixes needed  matters not which look you use.  

The total number of boxes of mix you need would be 8. 

If you use the *original* WASC recipe you can use 4 or 5.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe    If your mixer bowl is big enough you can use 2 mixes with the extra ingredients for 1 so you end up with enough batter to fill 10" round and two 8" rounds.  

So the recipe you would use would be:

2 cake mixes; 1 cup flour; 1 cup sugar; 1 cup sour cream; 2 cups liquid; 4 eggs; 1 1/2Tablespoons flavoring; 1/2 teaspoon salt.  This will give you enough batter for one 10" and one 9".  Another batch of this will give you your two 8" rounds.  A 3rd batch will give you the last 2 10"ers plus some cupcakes.    Hope that isn't too hard to understand :)   If you have ?s please PM me.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 7:22am
post #4 of 8

OH! I get it thanks Kakeladi. I'm a scratch baker, your post is a wealth of information.

jlmiddleton74 Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 8

Kakeladi

Thank you for responding. We are having between 30 and 40 people.

I am fixing a 13 x 9 chocolate cake for our grooms cake because I prefer chocolate. LOL

So I will ask you, knowing how many people are going to be there, and about 10 will eat the chocolate, how much of the wedding cake do you think I need to prepare?

We have a server who can keep the pieces small so would you think,

Top 2 inch

Middle 2 inch

Bottom 2-2 inch layers 

We are also not keeping the top layer for tradition as you do for your first. We have both been married before so the old school ideas are not really an issue.

Do you think that would be enough? 

kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

For your number of guests I would suggest just 2 tiers; a 10x4" round and a 6x3" round to go along w/your grooms cake.  they will serve about 35-40.  If you want the look of a bigger cake then use a styro dummy for the bottom tier, putting the 10 & 6 on top of a 12 or 14" dummy.  If that's what you do then you only need 2 batches of the *original* (just 2 boxes of mix).

To use the mixes straight out of the box you need 3 to complete the 10x4 (one mix for each 10x2) and one mix for 2 6x2 layers plus a few cupcakes.

The reason I suggest 6x3 tier is for looks.  A 6x4 looks very 'tower' like/too tall (At least to me- LOL)  .  Trimming it down to 6x3 makes it look more like the other tiers.  Here are a few pix to show you the difference:  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1434430/rose-buds-for-anniversary      http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1380898/celebrate-wine             

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1294467/small-50th-anniversary                   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1285669/small-rounds-for-wedding          

Hope that help you some.  Don't hesitate to as any ?s you have.  BTW:  where to you live?  Any chance you are in CA?

jlmiddleton74 Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 1:06am
post #7 of 8

The only probably is I don't have a 6 inch. Sizes I have are: 8, 9, 10. I would rather utilize what I have instead of buying more. So your saying a 2-10 and 2-8? That could work. So the 9 really isnt necessary?

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 2:35am
post #8 of 8

Exactly.   I understand not wanting to invest in more equipment.  Let's see if I remember right you can get one 10 and one 8 from one batch of the WASC recipe - the 8 might be a bit short but it won't be that bad.  Otherwise you need 3 or 4 mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%