Help Royal Purple

Lounge By cupcakewench92 Updated 19 Apr 2016 , 8:33pm by kakeladi

cupcakewench92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakewench92 Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 11

I have a bride that requested royal purple frosting on her cupcake mountain and cakes. and I've run into a bit of an issue achieving that color. Any advice would be appreciated.

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 11

Intense colors like that need time to 'develop'.  Color it at least the night before and by morning it should darken several shades.  You don't indicate what  problem you are having so it's hard to help you any further.

cupcakewench92 Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 11

the issue is that I can't seem to get it dark enough. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 11

you can add some black and you could brush petal dust over it afterwards too -- it it's crusting icing or fondant

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 11

Depending on which brand of color you are adding it may be just a matter of using more.  Some of those need as much as a teaspoon or two in a cup of white icing.   Start with a different base - like a deep pink or blue or even lavender before adding the purple.  Isn't royal purple a deep, deep lavender blue?  

cupcakewench92 Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

Royal purple is pretty much LSU purple. I'm using Americolor. Would adding that much color paste make it taste bad? 

SweetNeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNeddy Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 11

You might try a spray color on top of the purple icing you already have (I've seen cans of purple spray - but I don't know how dark they are). Or, if the client is OK with it - sprinkle a little dark purple edible glitter - it would add dark purple highlights.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 11

What kind of frosting are you using?  American buttercream, Swiss or italian merengue buttercream, etc...

It makes a difference in the advice.

cupcakewench92 Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 11

American buttercream, made with shortening (not my first choice. but its April, in South Texas, and there is no A/C).

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 11

Americolor is pretty concentrated but purples are tough. Particularly the royal. With AMBC letting the color develop is key. Overnight is best. You will want to get about a shade lighter than your true color before letting it develop, which will mean a lot of coloring; however, have never had trouble with bad taste using americolor. K8memphis and Kakeladi also had some key advice.

Best of luck!

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 11

As for it tasting bad - it might but amp up your flavoring - at least 2 Tablespoon to each batch using 2#s of sugar.  A good combination is 1 part vanilla; 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond (I've known some people who prefer lemon instead of almond).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%