Cake Killed By Recipients :-)

Lounge By LelekBolek Updated 19 May 2016 , 2:53pm by LelekBolek

LelekBolek Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 9

Well, this one in unusual for me. I am in no way offended financially  or otherwise.  Just sad it got ruined. Everyone was raving about the cake at the place it went to, until someone has put it out on a deck, in full sun and 90F. I guess they thought it would be a nicer place to celebrate, out on the deck. It was a fairly simple fondant covered chocolate 2-layer cake,  with a superb double-filling of chocolate and hazelnut/chambord liquor ganache, and Ghirardeli chocolate buttercream. Filling as thick, as the cake layers (and for one tiered cake i made those pretty soft and fluffy, and don't want to use the M word :-)), and also some filling under fondant, with a layer of raspbery buttercream - to secure the shape more.

I only heard a description of what had happened to it after 2 hours in the sun. Did not sound pretty.

Well, general happiness was delivered, although i am not sure what the cake tasted like after that torture. :-) Some claimed they tasted it, and it was fine. I can't imagine. As long as there are no hurt feelings, except i wish they knew what it REALLY tasted like.

8 replies
Jinkies Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 1:17am
post #2 of 9

Awwww, as my 6 yr old nephew would say, "Well, that's a dang it"!  

Flavors sound AMAZING though :)

costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 3:01am
post #3 of 9

I imagine that it tasted like a molten lava cake, soft and chocolatey :)

LelekBolek Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 3:28am
post #4 of 9

Ha. Yes, i thought of a magma/lava cake, too. 

@Jinkies ‍ your nephew is spot on.  I have a 7 &4 year olds, and their commentaries on my cakes are so funny sometimes!

@costumeczar ‍ ‍  it was the tax season's end cake! The one i ordered the prints for from you! I was in such a rush this weekend, cooking a picnic party meal for 40+, 3tier birthday cake,  and the tax cake, i didn't even get a decent photo of it! it looked just as i hoped it would. I stacked a topper onto chocolate silver half-dollars, and received fb comments "if anyone wants to know what a tax season cake should look like - here!" . 

gfbaby Posted 19 May 2016 , 6:34am
post #5 of 9

I feel your pain. I made a huge 10"square 8" high chocolate extravaganza for a friend's son in law, and made it terribly over the top as she wanted to out do her in laws previous offering (don't ask!). It had tall marbled chocolate shards and sculpted pieces and miscellaneous chocolaty bits... fudgy mud cake drizzled with chocolate liqueur, filled  with whipped ganache and covered with dark ganache- totally outrageous. She took it to the party and the ignoramous carved out a wedge and promptly shoved it in the microwave. No accounting for taste. I've never made him another cake and never will, on principle. I'm entitled to MY standards too....

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 7:36am
post #6 of 9

@LelekBolek ‍ What a shame, but it sounds like the cake was appreciated visually before it died. I was probably still delicious if not a little gushy like hot fudge - not a horrible thing!

@gfbaby ‍ Who puts a frosted cake in the microwave!?!

I've had two client caused accidents. One cake went to a restaurant and they left it in the hot kitchen during dinner and of course it was a blob of melted frosting.

I had made two cakes for one customer and as she was moving one to take a picture, she accidentally pushed the other one off the table and splat! It's a shame, but as long as I got paid and got my picture, you can do what you want after that.

LelekBolek Posted 19 May 2016 , 10:03am
post #7 of 9

That chocolate wonder cake sounds great! 

I have seen the pain on people's face though, when cakes get ruined. I attended a b-day party with my kids, and it was in the dreaded Chuck-E-Cheese's. The mom ordered an ice-cream cake from some place, and it was delivered to the location the day before, with clear label as to what it is, instructions, etc. The staff member then put it in the fridge overnight. In The Fridge, Coral!!! :-) It was a colorful milky puddle by the time of the party.

I felt for the mom. She was not bitchy - although she had all the right to be - but very upset. It was a double-birthday, and I guess the cake was on a fancier side (no one but the maker has seen the final result), and she paid a fair price for it. Ch-E-Ch has provided 2 of their small b-day cakes for compensation, but the effect wasn't there. Have you seen their cakes? Blah. 

gfbaby Posted 19 May 2016 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 9

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 2 hours ago

@LelekBolek ‍ What a shame, but it sounds like the cake was appreciated visually before it died. I was probably still delicious if not a little gushy like hot fudge - not a horrible thing!

@gfbaby ‍ Who puts a frosted cake in the microwave!?!

I've had two client caused accidents. One cake went to a restaurant and they left it in the hot kitchen during dinner and of course it was a blob of melted frosting.

I had made two cakes for one customer and as she was moving one to take a picture, she accidentally pushed the other one off the table and splat! It's a shame, but as long as I got paid and got my picture, you can do what you want after that.

I do spend rather too much of my spare time on cake wrecks.... I KNOW I shouldn't derive pleasure from other folks disasters mistakes or misery...but I can't help myself. I'm just irresistibly drawn there... I tell myself it's so I will be more aware of the pitfalls so I don't make them...but if I'm truly truly honest...it's nothing of the sort. I'm a terrible person. I'm so sorry...I have the MOST warped sense of humour...and for me it's recreational. I'm so sad... (and I can't stop laughing even now....) Does it help if I mention that indignant as I may be at how recipients treat my creations (like sloshing Guinness all over 70hrs complicated construction and airbrushing) I admit I laugh my #&$°©*s off within minutes laughing.png 

LelekBolek Posted 19 May 2016 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 9

Shame! Guinness should be only sloshed intetnally!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%