Beyond Buttercream's Base Cake Dense?!?!

Baking By CharliesMom09 Updated 21 Apr 2016 , 7:34am by Nancylou

CharliesMom09 Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 6

I recently purchased Beyond Buttercream’s base cake recipe. I just tried it for the first time, making the French vanilla version (all egg yolks). It came out of the oven looking wonderful. I followed the directions and removed it from the pan after cooling for 10 min, and it looked wonderful. I followed the directions and tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and put in ‘fridge to cool completely (something I’ve never done before). When I took it out of the ‘fridge, it had reduced to roughly half its original height. I broke into it, and it was extremely dense (as a full-size cake reduced to half its height would!).

I REALLY REALLY want to make this work, as the flavor is fabulous and so many rave about the cake. I’m going to try again tomorrow. Any suggestions? Did I simply wrap it too tightly in the plastic wrap? Did I make an error in the mixing or baking? Thank you in advance for any advice!

5 replies
Nancylou Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 6

This is not one of my every day recipes, so I don't know it as well as some other recipes, but I do remember having a similar outcome the second time I baked it.  I think it may have been that my butter was a little too soft when doing the reverse creaming.  Another possibility is having old baking powder.  It can expire pretty quickly, so maybe retry with a freshly opened can.  Here is a discussion about the recipe.

Maybe some others that know this recipe better can offer some suggestions. 

CharliesMom09 Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 3:26am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I don't remember how old my baking powder is, so maybe it's time for a new can. I'll get some b4 I try the recipe again tomorrow. I tried King Arthur Flour's white cake recipe today. Texture is fantastic, but flavor is so blah compared to what I got from my super dense Beyond Buttercream failure. Will read through link you sent and try BB again tomorrow... 

Nancylou Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 5:28am
post #4 of 6

I use whole eggs, not just the yolks ... although the all yolk version is her default version.  Also, I just re-read part of the recipe and she said that some have complained about it being dense with the all yolk version.  Since you have some time, maybe try the all white, the all yolk and the whole egg versions for a side by side comparison.  

I agree, the flavor of this cake is amazing.  I learned so much from all the details she provided in this recipe - it was worth every penny.

CharliesMom09 Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 2:14am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much. I made it again today with all yolks... fresh baking powder & baking soda, not as much vanilla paste as the first time, and let it cool unwrapped on cooling racks. It turned out great!! Next time I'll try whole eggs, as it's a bit expensive with all yolks.

Nancylou Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 7:34am
post #6 of 6

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that ... and yes, the yolks can get very pricey, very fast.  That's the main reason I opted for the whole egg version. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%