Would You Decorate A Store Bought Cake?

Business By Toshia7878 Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 10:14pm by Toshia7878

Toshia7878  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toshia7878 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm just a small home baker. I bake cheesecakes for one restaurant and have 1-2 wedding/shower/bday cakes per wknd. I have a HS acquaintance that has ordered 2x in about 4 yrs.  I would post cakes on facebook and she would say oh I can't wait for you to do my wedding cake!! Time went on with no official booking so I figured she booked someone else. No biggie. I hear from her yesterday that she would like me to do her cake 5/14. An already booked wknd for me. Then she drops this gem. The cake and cupcakes are coming from a grocery store and she just wants me to decorate.  I pry and it is bc the store won't do her Tiffany Blue. I'm a little annoyed, a little offended. What would you do?  2 wks notice to decorate 70 store cupcakes and 1 7in ruffle cake. Especially that I am throwing my sister's baby shower the same day that requires me to make a cake and food.  If it were a stranger I would probably say no flat out. Since I know her and I feel for her bridal stress I'm thinking of it. Ugh, ppl suck. I don't even know what to charge for some crap like that. Advice?

8 replies
 srbeauvais  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srbeauvais Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 9

I wouldn't do it because you can't guarantee the quality of the product and you don't want your name attached to that. It's like bringing your own steak to a steak house and asking them to add their mushrooms and onions to it. It's not being rude, it's having a standard of quality. Good luck! 

ljdills  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 9

I personally would not do it.  When someone asks who did the wedding cake, she is going to give your name.  I had a client last week who wanted me to do a small wedding cake for pictures, but were going to purchase sheet cakes from the local grocery store to serve to guests and I declined the order because I don't want my name attached to something I did not do.  I have a clause in my contract that states that my cake will be the only "wedding cake" served to prevent just that scenario.  

-K8memphis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 9

it doesn't take but a nano second to decorate that -- you might not even need to take the cupcakes out of the boxes -- if you have the time i would do it -- tell her she needs to drop off and pick them up -- sure why not -- good vibes all around -- two weeks is plenty of time to fit that in -- ain't gonna hurt your reputation -- charge $100 or so -- chances are she might not have it so get cash payment first --

but i mean how old are these cupcakes gonna be -- they have a brief shelf life -- idk 

-K8memphis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 9

i mean tiffany blue is nothing -- you could have her get them all iced white already and just spray it -- tell her her bridesmaids could do it for her -- 

seems like you wanna do it

costumeczar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

Quote by @Toshia7878 on 2 hours ago

If it were a stranger I would probably say no flat out. Since I know her and I feel for her bridal stress I'm thinking of it. Ugh, ppl suck. I don't even know what to charge for some crap like that. Advice?

This is your answer, say no. Feeling bad for someone isn't a reason to take on a job that you don't want to do, don't know how to price, and will interfere with your own plans. 

MimiFix  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 9

This has the potential for ending badly... Another reason for saying no: she may think you won't charge her since you're old "friends" and she's supplying the cake/cupcakes. Tell her you'd love to but that weekend you're hosting your sister's baby shower. If she doesn't understand, then it's a very good reason you say no.

Jinkies  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 9

Agreeing with MimiFix.  Sounds like it's just gonna stress you out and you'll probably end up resenting the whole thing.

Toshia7878  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toshia7878 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 9

I told her no. I said I wasn't comfortable with a hybrid (store/me) cake. She seemed OK with it. In the end I would have said yes out of feeling bad then been mad I took the order and been miserable while doing it. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%