Would You Decorate A Store Bought Cake?

Business By Toshia7878 Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 10:14pm by Toshia7878

Toshia7878 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm just a small home baker. I bake cheesecakes for one restaurant and have 1-2 wedding/shower/bday cakes per wknd. I have a HS acquaintance that has ordered 2x in about 4 yrs.  I would post cakes on facebook and she would say oh I can't wait for you to do my wedding cake!! Time went on with no official booking so I figured she booked someone else. No biggie. I hear from her yesterday that she would like me to do her cake 5/14. An already booked wknd for me. Then she drops this gem. The cake and cupcakes are coming from a grocery store and she just wants me to decorate.  I pry and it is bc the store won't do her Tiffany Blue. I'm a little annoyed, a little offended. What would you do?  2 wks notice to decorate 70 store cupcakes and 1 7in ruffle cake. Especially that I am throwing my sister's baby shower the same day that requires me to make a cake and food.  If it were a stranger I would probably say no flat out. Since I know her and I feel for her bridal stress I'm thinking of it. Ugh, ppl suck. I don't even know what to charge for some crap like that. Advice?

8 replies
srbeauvais Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 9

I wouldn't do it because you can't guarantee the quality of the product and you don't want your name attached to that. It's like bringing your own steak to a steak house and asking them to add their mushrooms and onions to it. It's not being rude, it's having a standard of quality. Good luck! 

ljdills Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 9

I personally would not do it.  When someone asks who did the wedding cake, she is going to give your name.  I had a client last week who wanted me to do a small wedding cake for pictures, but were going to purchase sheet cakes from the local grocery store to serve to guests and I declined the order because I don't want my name attached to something I did not do.  I have a clause in my contract that states that my cake will be the only "wedding cake" served to prevent just that scenario.  

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 9

it doesn't take but a nano second to decorate that -- you might not even need to take the cupcakes out of the boxes -- if you have the time i would do it -- tell her she needs to drop off and pick them up -- sure why not -- good vibes all around -- two weeks is plenty of time to fit that in -- ain't gonna hurt your reputation -- charge $100 or so -- chances are she might not have it so get cash payment first --

but i mean how old are these cupcakes gonna be -- they have a brief shelf life -- idk 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 9

i mean tiffany blue is nothing -- you could have her get them all iced white already and just spray it -- tell her her bridesmaids could do it for her -- 

seems like you wanna do it

costumeczar Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

Quote by @Toshia7878 on 2 hours ago

If it were a stranger I would probably say no flat out. Since I know her and I feel for her bridal stress I'm thinking of it. Ugh, ppl suck. I don't even know what to charge for some crap like that. Advice?

This is your answer, say no. Feeling bad for someone isn't a reason to take on a job that you don't want to do, don't know how to price, and will interfere with your own plans. 

MimiFix Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 9

This has the potential for ending badly... Another reason for saying no: she may think you won't charge her since you're old "friends" and she's supplying the cake/cupcakes. Tell her you'd love to but that weekend you're hosting your sister's baby shower. If she doesn't understand, then it's a very good reason you say no.

Jinkies Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 9

Agreeing with MimiFix.  Sounds like it's just gonna stress you out and you'll probably end up resenting the whole thing.

Toshia7878 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 9

I told her no. I said I wasn't comfortable with a hybrid (store/me) cake. She seemed OK with it. In the end I would have said yes out of feeling bad then been mad I took the order and been miserable while doing it. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%