Help! No Idea How To Make This!

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 18 Apr 2016 , 3:46am by SoniaMT

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:32am
post #1 of 19

OK so Im planning on making  a cake that has a Mosquito trap kind of drape on it. Its hard to explain, think of the princess beds that have that see through drap that hangs from the top down to the bed. I need to make something that looks like that drape and is see through. Any ideas?? I need it to be a part of the cake topper so it doesn't have to be something huge. i just dont know what kind of materials to use to make something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks 

18 replies
vona26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vona26 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:25am
post #2 of 19

Could you make it out of cheese cloth? Wouldn't be edible, but could be used with food.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 7:05am
post #3 of 19

Do you mean a mosquito net? 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 7:15am
post #4 of 19

I was also thinking Mosquito Net??  I would make it out of cake lace or one of those similar products, could get pricey though having to buy a mould.  You could make a mould using tulle, though on second thoughts that is making my brain hurt just thinking about it.  I would take the easy way out and go with the first option.

julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 10:03am
post #5 of 19

I don't really know what it will be used for bit just a thought: How about using gelatine? You can spread it really thin and dry it like when you make fairy wings. Or you could use a burlap lace mold with white lace? 

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 19

You mean like this?

Curtain-Direct-Selling-Real-Single-door-Iron-Home-Bunk-font-b-Bed-b-font-font-b.jpg

Creativeconfectioner Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 19

or this?

5f12027ee715b3f3d950474eff143ecd.jpg

Creativeconfectioner Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 19

If you do not mind the question....why does it need to be see thru??

If that is a requirement I cannot help...the closest I can advise is something like sugar veil lace.....it acts like fabric and is a lace that allows some measure of "see-thru-ness"

Otherwise...its royal icing...like this (not mine)

037c02ded6c5bd8b883892df520260cc.jpg

Creativeconfectioner Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 19

Some pictures I found as possible options.....

tutorial izzy- jake y los piratas fondant - Buscar con Google:

Creativeconfectioner Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 19

This is closest to what I think you are looking for....
[IMG_0001.jpg]

Here is the site...it has to be translated......

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jky6oh3ctFs/S4L6FnCv71I/AAAAAAAAAh0/slYSZpQCwqY/s1600-h/IMG_0001.jpg

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 19

I'd use wafer paper, get it slightly wet enough to shape into the folds, then let it dry in that shape. It will be very brittle when it dries, though.

julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 19

@creativeconfectioner: it's funny because I was thinking Sonia is not making a bed with a mosquito net as a topper but rather some topper that has a part that is like a net. First thing that piped in my mind was bride with a veil. But maybe it is a bed who knows. Shame she hasn't specified yet, feels like a quiz show LOL. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 19

here's this idea for netting -- the first one called the veil technique

http://sugarveil.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Confectionery-Comb-Techniques-cropped.pdf

SoniaMT Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 12:56am
post #14 of 19

LoL...SOrry guys i was not able to get access to the internet till now! THese are all great ideas. The Cake im making is for Teachers Day....IM doing a replica cake of their outdoor playground area. They have this "Cool off zone" that is made of pillows under a huge tree and is draped from the top of a tree with a Mosquito Net.  It is the High light of their play area so i really wanted to focus on that image for the cake topper along with other stuff they have. 

kas2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kas2105 Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 2:15am
post #15 of 19

These are some good ideas. I hope your cake doesn't end up like one I made for Teacher Appreciation Day one year... It was just a big sheet cake and I put the school on it. It had all the doors and windows, the flag pole, the flowers, it was an exact replica. I sat outside and sketched the school so I'd get it perfect. I drove my kids to school that morning and dropped the cake off in the teacher's lounge with paper plates, a big knife, a spatula and plastic forks. Came back at the end of the day to get my board and the entire cake was still there, or at least almost all of it was. They'd cut tiny pieces from the edges, but nobody would cut into the part where the school was, they said it was too beautiful and they couldn't do it. I could not believe that nobody would cut that cake. From then on, whenever I took a cake to school I'd show it to the people in the office and whoever else was around and then I'd slice it right down the middle, lol.

SoniaMT Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 2:20am
post #16 of 19

@Creativeconfectioner that is perfect! does anyone know how they did that with royal icing?

SoniaMT Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 2:26am
post #17 of 19

@kas2105 lol!! Thats so funny! I made one for them last year and it was pretty much all gone by the end of the day. Hopefully they will like this years too. I was torn between making chalk board cookies with different sayings or a cake. But i think im sticking with the cake. For some reason it seems like it doesn't take as much time as doing cookies. 

kas2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kas2105 Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 2:42am
post #18 of 19

If your teachers are like mine, they'd rather have cake than cookies anyway. Shortly after that cake incident I started working at that same school and stayed for almost ten years, so I know. Of course, my teachers did things that made no sense - like one time they asked me to make sheet cakes for Dr. Seuss Day, said they wanted enough to serve all the kids in the building and they actually paid me. I made every character I could think of and the cakes turned out really cute. So what did they do? They had the kitchen cut them up and served them on the kids' lunch trays so none of the kids even knew what they looked like. The only people who actually saw the cakes were the other women in the office and the cafeteria ladies. It made no sense at all for them to pay me to make all those characters when not one kid even saw them.

SoniaMT Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 3:46am
post #19 of 19

@kas2105 Awwww that sucks!  Im sure the kids would have loved to see the different characters!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%