Freezing, Crumb Coat, Fondant

Decorating By Assuntavan Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 9:14pm by Assuntavan

Assuntavan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Assuntavan Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone!, 

So it is my first time using fondant on a cake and I have a few questions. I am making a 3 tier birthday cake for Sunday afternoon. Last week I baked everything and wrapped it and froze them. My plan was to crumb coat and ice them tonight and leave them in the fridge overnight and on Saturday cover with fondant and decorate. Here is where allllll my questions come in. I've read so many different answers that I am so confused.

So first How long should I leave my frozen cakes out before crumb coating?

Should I crumb coat the night before and refrigerate? or is it best to crumb coat then decorate?

If I do crumb coat and refrigerate how should I cover them?

and last question is after fondant and decorating how should I store my cake for the next day?

Sorry for all the question! I am new at this and want to make sure everything goes smoothly! Thanks! 

3 replies
forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 4

I think there is a lot of personal preference here.  

I put bring my cakes mostly to room temp (out of freezer for an hour or so) but on my buttercream then let sit overnight to really crust up.  Then I add my fondant. 

Once you have put on your buttercream your cake is sealed so I woud freeze it enough for the buttercream to be solid then cover in saran wrap and put back in the freezer.

The arguement over chiling fondant is due to the condensation that happens as it comes to room temp.  If your cake is going to have time to come to room temp and for the condensation to dry then refrigerate.  depending on the colors you use you may see color bleed because of he condensation.

This is my personal opinion and what I think about when I make my cakes.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 4

I don't thaw my cakes before crumb coating.  I level them as soon as they come out of the pan and into the freezer they go. I take them out of the freezer and fill then crumb coat - still frozen.  Usually it goes back into the freezer - no wrap - until it's firm enough to ice (10-15 min).  The cake is then in and out of the fridge as the layers of buttercream go on.  It takes me a couple of coats to get a nice smooth finish.   The last coat that goes on is just to fix the small craters and such, so once all of that is fixed, the cake is so cold that by the time I roll out my fondant to cover the cake, it's firm, so I don't put it in the fridge while rolling out the fondant. If the icing is no longer tacky, a SMALL spritz of water around the cake is good enough to adhere the fondant.  You can crumb coat and completely ice the cake the day before, but you will need to spritz your cake or add another thin layer of buttercream before the fondant - it needs to stick to something.  If you are in a humid area, you can box your cake and place it in the fridge.  Better for transport this way, too, as the box stays cold.  When bringing the cake to room temp, leave the box closed and allow it to come to room temp.  The box will take the moisture, instead of your cake.

Assuntavan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Assuntavan Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome thank you both for your help! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%