In Home Business!

Business By ljkkki Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 12:10am by MimiFix

ljkkki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljkkki Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

I live in Upstate NY and I am looking for information and clarification on having a in home cake business. Thank you! <3 

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 5

In NY, home-based baking is allowed, but the sale of cakes is restricted. The permit  "does not allow for home processors to make specialty items, such as birthday cakes, per order. Furthermore, it does not allow for direct sales of product from the home."

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 5

http://forrager.com/law/new-york/ It's kind of weird. Says you can sell at famer's markets, but not out of your home, what do they think a cottage is? (rolls eyes)

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

NY is a tricky state it seems!  I don't think you're allowed to make custom cakes, chocolate, or perishable items.  You also aren't allowed to sell from your home.  The site craftybanana2 posted is a good place to look and read all the comments David posted, he knows his stuff, lol  It would probably be best for you to contact your health depart or the city to find out for sure :) good luck!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:10am
post #5 of 5

The NYS Dept of Agriculture and Markets regulates home-based food businesses for the entire state, including NYC (where home processing is allowed). Call the Albany office with any questions. (518) 457-8835

David, from Forrager, has clearly done a lot of work. However, people in search of the laws and regulations for their area should always contact the regulating authority.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%