Giant Cupcake Cake

Baking By hep275 Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 4:09pm by hep275

hep275 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 7:02am
post #1 of 5

My daughter wanted a giant cupcake cake for her 18th which I have already made and frozen using a standard victoria sandwich mix.  I'm unsure whether to torte the cake bottom and top though - I would usually fill a victoria sandwich with jam and buttercream - is this what is normally done with giant cupcake cakes or is it more usual to leave both parts uncut?

Also, using a silicone mould I'm intending to make an outer cupcake case of chocolate - do I just put the bottom cake into the chocolate 'case' as it is, or should I crumb coat it first?

Many thanks, Helen 

4 replies
Dar917 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 8:36am
post #2 of 5

Hi hep275, you can cut it in layers if you want but you don't have to. I've seen it done both ways. When I've made it (I use the Wilton pan) I haven't cut it in layers.

If you're doing the candy coating shell "wrapper" though, you'll want to trim the ridges off of the bottom part before setting the cake inside it or it won't fit. And yes, do a thin crumb coat with buttercream because it won't stick to the chocolate. Unless you're putting the cake in while the chocolate is still melty, but it might squish the chocolate out, you know? I haven't tried doing it that way. Hope this helps!

hep275 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for that.  I had thought i might need to 'shave' the bottom cake to fit it into the chocolate shell.  

rsquared02 Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, you'll have to trim it a little to fit into the shell. I do always put a crumb coat on it, but you probably wouldn't have to.  I sometimes put filling in the bottom half, but not the top. I worry that it would make it slide. Have fun!

hep275 Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I was wondering about filling the top - and between the cupcake and the top is that makes sense but that would definitely slide I would have thought.  Looking forward to it....roll on Monday. Helen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%