Wilton Gold Spray

Decorating By momtojam Updated 14 Apr 2016 , 10:16pm by momtojam

momtojam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtojam Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:29am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone used the Wilton Gold Spray?  My granddaughter wants a gold cake for her golden birthday.  Was looking to spray fondant for a gold cake then decorate. 

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:52am
post #2 of 7

Yes, and you will need A LOT for good coverage!

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:13am
post #3 of 7

I would NOT recommend using Wilton spray for this purpose. In my experience it does not work well for full coverage color. I've tried using the silver mist to cover white fondant and it was no bueno. If you tinted the fondant close to the color of the spray it may work better but at best I would hope for a sheen as opposed to the solid gold layers that are in right now. Instead I recommend buying Rolkem Super Gold dust and mixing it with alcohol or lemon extract or buying Rainbow Dust Metallic Food Paint. I just bought some of the paint in silver and it has incredible coverage while requiring very little effort. Hope this helps!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:44am
post #4 of 7

I used it to color fondant stars and started with a more yellow base......for 124 mini stars, I needed 2 cans. Then when it gets low, it starts to spit. I would go with the advice of the above poster

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

Rolkem gold is not FDA approved for use on food, despite claims to the contrary. The FDA has not approved the use of any real metals--gold, silver, copper, or brass--as food additives.

Rolkem gold is nothing more than highlighter dust--it contains real metal [E175 on the label], so at best, it's non-toxic and for use only on decorations that will be removed.  Non-toxic products are not edible and should never be applied to food that will be eaten.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm

I have verified this directly with the FDA.  Additionally, many other Rolkem dusts contain BANNED color additives [E124, ponceau being one of those].

As for gold--or other metallics--there are edible luster dusts that use FDA certified colors made by several companies--thesugarart.com, sugarpaste.com, pristinecolors.com, globalsugarart.com .  They will not look like polished metal, but they will be gold and shiny and they can eaten.  They can be painted on using a mixture of the dust and a high alcohol content clear liquor like vodka, Everclear, or gin--or lemon extract.

The sprays work well when used properly. Always tint the icing--a shade of yellow for bright gold, a brownish yellow for burnished gold.  Spray on several light coats, allowing them to dry in between sprays.  Personally, I prefer the ChefMaster gold spray.

Winkinpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winkinpa Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 7

If you look at my pictures you can see a cake that I made when I wanted gold.  I covered the cake in chocolate ganache and let it harden.  Then I coated the cake with corn syrup with a sponge. after letting that dry a bit I brushed layers of gold and white over the corn syrup.  I was really pleased with the results and it was a major crowd pleaser.  No one could believe I made it... just what we want!

I have to give proper credit for this... I took Kristen Erich's class called capture the moment.  The technique above is adapted from hers... she did it on fondant and I was specifically asked not to use fondant... so I tried it on a hardened ganache and it worked.

momtojam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtojam Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the advice. She will be 8 and anything gold will please her. Will have to play with sever options

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%