Strawberry Extract--What Brand?

Baking By TurksandCaicos Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 4:14pm by julia1812

TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

I found a recipe for a different strawberry cake that I would like to try.  It calls for strawberry extract (in addition to strawberry puree) and I've never used that before.  

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good brand of strawberry extract?  From my cursory research, it seems like there is a wide variety of brands both imitation and "natural" (whatever that means.)  I thought I also read somewhere that depending on the brand, strawberry extract can emit a chemical/bitter taste, which of course I would like to avoid.  While the imitation extracts seem to be cheapest, if the quality isn't great then that's not a good option.  

I would appreciate any input anyone might have on this.  Thanks!

6 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

I highly recommend the strawberry extract from Olivenation.com It's not chemical or bitter at all.   I purchase all of my extracts and flavorings from them and I think they're superior to others.   They ship quickly, too.

You can find some useful coupon codes here:  http://www.retailmenot.com/view/olivenation.com

TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for the suggestion and for the coupon code link!  I will check Olivenation.com out. 

jenner28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenner28 Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 7

I used this company http://shop.lorannoils.com/baking. However I have only ever added it to icing and not to cakes, so I'm not sure how the quantities play out.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

i use strawberry jello and fresh strawberries in mine

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 7

i mean the jello powder into the mixture 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 7

Oh I am not a huge fan of extracts but especially with berries I find they all taste very artificial. Can you not use real strawberries? But that wad not your question anyway so...just my opinion. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%