Thoughts On This Cake? (Not My Cake In The Pic)

Decorating By lndyhpgrl Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 11:46pm by Creativeconfectioner

lndyhpgrl Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 9

So, I'm going to be making this cake this upcoming weekend. My question revolves around the hot air balloon and basket. I've got a few thoughts on how to put it together but I thought I'd ask for input in case I'm missing something. The balloon itself is just a styrofoam ball that I will cover with fondant.

1) What would you use for supports? Wood dowels? Stuck directly into the styrofoam?

2) What would you make the inside of the wicker basket out of? Obviously it's fondant on the outside but would you use a full block of fondant, or styrofoam or something on the inside?

3) Would you put supports right into the cake or just in the basket?

4) How to transport to the venue?

Grateful for any expertise.

8 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 9

Looks like a real basket to me. Make sure whatever you use has some weight to balance the top, use a support inside the cake to hold up the balloon/basket. I would just use glue before inserting dowels into Styrofoam (dip dowel in hot glue before inserting). I would transport separately, unless you change the design and use a thick dowel to hold up everything-it could go through the center rather than the four small. Regardless put a small board under the basket or something to separate the basket from the cake/use with internal support so it doesn't crush your cake/sink-probably something very thin.  

baroje Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Smckinney07 the basket to me seems to be real, not made of fondant but you can try making it out of fondant. The ball is not heavy but once the fondant is on it will be, use good support with the wooden dowel and I wouldtransport it separately, its a gorgeous cake. Please put up some pics when done.

kas2105 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

I think it's a real basket, too. Hot air balloon baskets don't have handles, they should have removed those. I think your fondant basket will look much better than the one in the picture. And I also agree that you should transport it separately and put it together at the venue.

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 9

My slightly take on this is that you could use kabob sticks.  If they are long enough I would have them go through the basket and the cake all the way into the base board.   I would say the sticks would need to be no less than 14-18" long

Good point baroje made about the basket not needing handles.  As for what to make the inside part of the basket - a small 'sq' of cake or all fondant.

lndyhpgrl Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 1:05am
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone. And do you think the dowels were just stuck directly into the balloon?

baroje Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 9

I think they are. if you make the basket out of fondant it will be a lot heavier and sturdy than the regular basket and you can make the dowels go through the basket into the cake for transport. regular basket transport separately.

Magda_MI Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 2:38am
post #8 of 9

I agree with kakeladi, those look like bamboo skewers, stuck into the styrofoam.

Creativeconfectioner Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%