Anyone Ever Tried Using Spreadable Lace Mix In A Marvelous Molds Onlay?

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 11:37pm by -K8memphis

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to try using some spreadable lace mix in a marvleous molds onlay silcone chevron mold to see how it works.  Anyone ever tried this?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 8

lace mix in a silicone mold? yes works great -- i used a thin amount and a thick amount -- i made angel wings -- not sure if that's what you mean

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 8

I use the spreadable lace with the silicone lace molds all the time.  I am wondering how it would be to use the MM overlay molds that make a whole panel of chevrons or other patterns at one.  MM uses fondant in the molds, then paints the back with corn syrup adhesive and stick the panel mold and all to the side then peels it off...I haven't had good luck with that process, so I was wondering how it would be to make a panel from edible lace mix, remove from the mold then position it just as you would if using a lace mold.  I'm going to give it a trial run this weekend and will let everyone know how it turns out.

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 12:44am
post #4 of 8

Please try and let us know...I'm excited to find out :)

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 8

so these for those as unenlightened as i was --

http://marvelousmolds.com/onlays/chevron-onlays

and although i've never done this my observation is that fondant is maybe cheaper?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 8

True.,.fondant might be a bit less expensive, but honestly it's surprising how little lace mix it takes to fill the mold.  I've made 5 sets so far out of 1/4 cup mix and still have some left.  Plus with the lace mix, you have a ton of flexibility without the material not breaking...something you don't always have with fondant.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 8

so it wasn't too flexible -- it adhered ok and wasn't difficult to get/keep straight

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

that was a question ^^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%