Petite Fours Recipe

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 10:45pm by MBalaska

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 13

Hey Guys!  I want to make petite fours for a tea party. I have never done them before and im looking to see what the best recipe is. i have seen it done with pound cake. Does it have to be pound cake? Also, what kind of fondant is used to cover...or can i use chocolate ganache? Any tips on flavors, techniques and how to make these cute little things would be greatly appreciated! I wanted to do chocolate since the ladies love dark chocolate. THanks! 

12 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 13

Pound cake is very dense and dry so when you cut the squares you don't have the cake crumbling into pieces. But ya...not the most pleasing cake to eat. Theoretically you can use your favourite chocolate cake recipe if the texture is strong enough. Then you cut them into pieces (2x2") frost sides and top and cover (at least the top) with marzipan if you want a super flat surface before anything else. But traditionally you use poured fondant. Cool your cake squares, place one on a fork over poured fondan bowl and pour over the square. Need at least 3 coat to be smooth. You can use chocolate glaze instead. But haven't used it so not sure if cg alone will be sufficient. 

SoniaMT Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks @Julia1812 for the tips. How do i make the fondant to get it to pour? I usually make MMF for cakes and cookies or i use the Wilton store bought. Does this require a specific type of fondant or recipe?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 13

No no it's not fondant you use it's called POURED fondant. It's another recipe but very simple. Guess you'll find some good recipes here on CC in the recipe section or have a look at this wilton recipe: http://www.wilton.com/quick-pour-fondant-icing/WLRECIP-207.html

SoniaMT Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 13

Perfect thanks! I will try this wilton recipe! 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 13

Petit Fours can be very tricky. The cake is the easy part! It's the covering of the sides of the cake that's tough. It has a LOT to do with the viscosity of the coating - not too thick and not too thin. Sometimes the poured fondant just doesn't want to stick. Some people like to dip the entire piece while others have success with pouring and some pipe. Watch some videos and try using a container with a straight side (rather than round) when pouring.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 13

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/56981/how-to-do-petit-foursmy-way

using her tutorial & Gretchen Prices poured fondant recipe I made several nice petit 4's.

MBalaska Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 13

[postimage id="3550" thumb="900"]

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 5:49am
post #9 of 13

^^^^^ Those are adorable Sherrie! They look so moreish x

SoniaMT Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 13

THose are sooo cute!Great Job!  i hope my come out successful.  Just out of curiosity would chocolate ganache cover the cakes with a nice finish?  

MBalaska Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 13

When I wanted chocolate coated petit fours I used Gretchen Prices poured fondant recipe with chocolate and made these.  They were chocolate heaven without ganache.  Homemade modeling chocolate flowers.  But sure, you could use poured ganache from real chocolate

MBalaska Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 13

[postimage id="3583" thumb="900"]

MBalaska Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 13

The best part of poured fondant is that it firms up, is not sticky, and you can pick them up with your fingers as they are intended to be eaten and not have a mess on your hands.

I've never had a dry crusted firm to the touch ganache that can be handled with fingers.  It might be out there somewhere.  The funny thing is that with the poured fondant coating.  A week later each piece of petit four was the most lovely creamy bite of tenderness that it was almost like eating a piece of a chocolate truffle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%