Never Done Mini Cakes For A Wedding. Need Pricing Info.

Business By BakerzJoy Updated 18 Apr 2016 , 4:35pm by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 19

So, I got this request to do 75 mini cakes with fondant and minimal decor. I have no idea what to price. I know the work is a lot more so I don't wanna go to low.

Anyone have experience with these??

18 replies
julia1812 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 19

They are a pain yes. Haven't done any to order yet just played around with some practise ones. But you would need to put some good dollars on the table.to make me do them. How small are we talking? 

BakerzJoy Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 19

It looks to be about 2-3 inches high and about 1 1/2inches wide. So little enough for one person. They look like a ton of work even without decorations. :(

julia1812 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 19

Do you have a pan to bake them in? Will you do sheet cakes and cut them out with a round cutter? Guess that's the easiest. Then freeze and ice while cold otherwise at least I find it impossible to make them looks good. If it would be only bc not a big deal but since they are so small and theoretically a double barrel it will be a pain to cover them in fondant.  Oh ...hang on...you could do panelling. Have you done that before? You know where you cover the sides in one piece of fondant and the top with a circle separately? But since you wrote "simple design" you would need to get those seems invisible. And that will take up time. ..

Maybe someone comes up with a better idea. Sorry!

BakerBlackCat Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 19

They are a pain.  I used to do mini-cakes for samples, tastings, and one large event where I almost lost my mind (150 of those little suckers!). In the interests of full disclosure, I've taken them off my menu, because they are a time suck and make me a little bonkers.  Charging a fair price was a bit of a nightmare because they were loss leaders for me - I couldn't get the price up to the point to where I would make a profit, and not have client scream at at the price.  I was asked to make 40 fondant-covered mini-cakes for a wedding for less than $200. I said no.  I still wonder what exactly they ended up with...

I have gone both the stamping cake round & the individual cake pan route, and I much prefer the individual cake pan route.  I felt that the mini-cakes made from the stamped rounds were much harder to frost (crumbs!) and I liked the clean sides from the pans.  I also had a ton of cake scraps from stamping rounds (I don't make cake pops). 

I use this set here: Fat Daddio's Pans (2.75" x 1.75"H) - the last time I bought them it was a 12-pack.   I keep them in a storage bin, and cut out a couple gazillion little parchment circles, and use a #16 disher to fill them up.  Use a Qwik-Icer tip & don't bother with a crumb coat - much faster.  Keep 'em cold & work fast!

I agree with @julia1812 to do the paneling idea - I can't imagine covering 75 mini-cakes in fondant!  Maybe you could cover the cut edge with some minimal piping?  (Just the teensiest shell border?)

Nancylou Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 19

One more thought ... what about using a concept like this from from Renee Conner, except find a mold for the size mini cake you would like. 

Video: 

I agree with Julia and BakerBlackCat about paneling the fondant.

kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 19

Wow,, someone (Renee) used their smarts!  LOL  That sure is a better way to make 'petite fores'.  I guess one would not properly call them petite fores because I see them as 2 or 3 bites :)  

Nancylou Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 12:34am
post #9 of 19

I know, right?  I about flipped when I first saw this video.  Regarding petite fores, surely there are small square molds you could use ... the possibilities really are endless.

Any ideas on pricing @kakeladi ?  Bakerblackcat said she was offered just under $200 to do 40 and she said it was not worth the headache, and I have heard the same sentiment from others.  What do you think?

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 1:10am
post #10 of 19

I've been away from selling for more than 6 yrs now so I'm not up on pricing.   It really depends on your costs and how much you want to do the work.  With this method it shouldn't be quite so bad.  Sooooo maybe $3-400 for 75.  But, but,,,,,,wait...... you said they need to be ''2 tier' so that changes the whole picture.  Much, much more even if you use this method.    Oh just realize Nancy isn't the OP but I'm not going back and change the post....just apply it to the OP :)   OH, BTW: pf's don't have to be sq...........there could be tiny rounds ones too.....easier to find the molds.

Nancylou Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 1:48am
post #11 of 19

Sorry, since you were on, I wanted to pick your brain about the pricing, didn't mean to high-jack the post.  Good to know that petite fours don't need to square ... yes, much easier to find molds now.  Thank you!

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 1:52am
post #12 of 19

Thanks for sharing that video @Nancylou ‍, that was amazing! So gonna do that sometime smiley.png

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 3:43am
post #13 of 19

Nothing to be sorry about Nancy :)   With all these new silicone molds this method is going to be a big help to many.  

Nancylou Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 6:19am
post #14 of 19

@pastrybaglady - Me too, I am really looking forward to trying this out!

Thanks @kakeladi : )  I hope it helps the OP, 75 mini's is a lot to tackle. 

julia1812 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 8:10am
post #15 of 19

I think the easiest way for me would be 1) to rescale the shape. I'd bake minis in either straight edge muffin pans (there are 12 single layers so I would make 2 layers to get a 2.5x 2.5" cake) or - much more time efficent as you can fit so many at once -using empty clean tins (from tined tomatoes, beans or whatever. I always keep some. That way I could fit way more on the oven and bake 1 cake per tin, level and torte once after cooling. Very inexpensive btw). 2) fill and ice, freeze/ chill and panel with fondant but use an imprinted fondant round for the top. Like a lace or something. Slightly bigger (1-2mm). Or hide seam with piping or fondant pearl ribbon or so. I would still charge more than for cupcakes for example but I think if you do it like that you can bake all in 2 goes, filling and icing doesn't take long especially if they are very cold and panelling can be done quickly if you have a ribbon cutter for that size (maybe 2 or 3 inches high max). Roll out big piece of fondant last, imprint design and cut round with a round cutter of the diameter  (f.e.2.5"). Place them on top. Done. Thinking about it, you can do it in just a few hours. 

julia1812 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 8:13am
post #16 of 19

And also travelling with 2" high and 3" wide cakes will be easier than 3" high and 1.5" wide cakes.

costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 9:22am
post #17 of 19

I wouldn't do them for less than $20 each, seriously, they're a pain in the butt. The covering and decorating is a pain, the storage is a pain,  the moving them around  and setting them up is a pain.  Make  that  $40 each.

BakerBlackCat Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 19

^^^What CostumeCzar said.^^^

That was the conclusion I came to, they're at least $20 per cake, and took them off my menu.  They really are a huge pain in the butt.  They're cute pains, but they're pains....

Again, I agree with julia1812, to make wider, shorter mini-cakes.  Otherwise they wobble like mad.

BakerzJoy Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 19

I just wanted to say a HUGE "Thank you" to all of you for your time and answering my questions.

I emailed the bride today with $20 each cake. I feel like it's a good price.

We'll see what she says. Thank you all so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%