Do You Charge Customers..

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 12 Apr 2016 , 1:27pm by -K8memphis

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 14

..for custom made equipment? 

I had an order of sugar cookies last week, it was a personal logo, so I had to buy a custom made cookie cutter. 

Since the cost of the cutter was $10 and the cookies were only $24, I charged the costumer. 

Now she emailed me saying she wants the cutter because she paid for it.

what to do? 

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 14

give it to her and reveal less in your invoicing -- charge more for the cookies next time to cover the cost

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 14

Did you itemise the cost of the cutter when you quoted?  I wouldn't give it to her personally if not.  If you were a distributor, you would add a markup on the sale, not charge cost.  I pass on a portion of the cost depending on the type of equipment.  If it's a weird cutter I am never likely to use again, I charge fully for it but they don't get to keep it.  If I will re-use it (a new flower cutter for example), then I charge 50%.  You have had to do the leg work in finding it, paying for delivery etc.  I'd say if she wants to buy it, she can pay the cost + admin fee+ postage + sunk cost (bit for the chance you will have to buy it again if a new customer sees the cookies, likes them and wants to order them too!).

I'm also fairly generic on my quote.  Some people quote for X flowers at £X each.  I don't do that...just gives people more ammunition to try and pick the quote to pieces.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 14

Did you itemise the cost of the cutter when you quoted?  I wouldn't give it to her personally if not.  If you were a distributor, you would add a markup on the sale, not charge cost.  I pass on a portion of the cost depending on the type of equipment.  If it's a weird cutter I am never likely to use again, I charge fully for it but they don't get to keep it.  If I will re-use it (a new flower cutter for example), then I charge 50%.  You have had to do the leg work in finding it, paying for delivery etc.  I'd say if she wants to buy it, she can pay the cost + admin fee+ postage + sunk cost (bit for the chance you will have to buy it again if a new customer sees the cookies, likes them and wants to order them too!).

I'm also fairly generic on my quote.  Some people quote for X flowers at £X each.  I don't do that...just gives people more ammunition to try and pick the quote to pieces.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 14

true, all what snowflakeb said but if you do that now you're gonna tick her off -- at least i would be po'd if you did that to me -- just depends on how much you value harmony and your peace -- ten bucks is a bargain

best to you

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 14

Absolutely agree...guess it just depends on what what said in the initial consultations as to how far you can push it. :-) x

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 14

She knew she was paying $10 on the side for the cutter, it's a custom made one for a private logo. 

I'm afraid she is going to give it to another baker to make the cookies in the future.

well I guess I learned my lesson... 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 14

be cool if you could imprint your bakery''s name on there somehow -- hey with a marker?

:)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 12:19am
post #9 of 14

@TheItalianBaker ‍ there is also a chance that she will return it to you for more custom cookies.  Who else would you have used the custom cutter for in the future other than her.  You know that she won't use it herself, and if she gives it to someone else who does not do as nice of a job, it will come back to you.  Wishing you well, you make really nice goodies.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:26am
post #10 of 14

If you pass the entire cost of a custom piece of equipment on to her and she knows it, I agree she should have possession of it. If no one but her would ever request it why not give it to her? Treat her well and she'll come back to you with cutter in hand for her next order!

akeri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akeri Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:41am
post #11 of 14

give it to her and reveal less in your invoicing -- charge more for the cookies next time to cover the cost of Cutter and Explain all Details o invoice next time

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 11:44am
post #12 of 14

If this happens again, you could offer to order the item for her that she could then keep and charge a fee for your time. If she wanted to order it herself she could do that to save the fee you'd be charging her.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 14

...of course it was a shame that the cutter broke right as you were cutting out the last cookie! ;)

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 14

clap.png @jeff hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%