First Wedding Cake! Advice On Dummies/stacking/transport Needed

Baking By Amklein Updated 12 Apr 2016 , 4:55pm by kakeladi

Amklein Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone! I am doing my first ever wedding cake this weekend. It is for a very well-known person in his area, and I'm slightly (very) stressed. I'm doing a four-tier design, the bottom tier being a dummy tier. I'm also making a sheet cake to cut in the back.  It will be my first time using a dummy tier, and also my first time using the stress-free cake stacking system.    I am also using a kitchen that is not my own, and I am making the cake in Florida so I'm concerned about weather.

My questions are:

1)  Do I need to dowel the dummy tier with the support dowels? Should I use a center support dowel through the whole cake?

2) I am traveling with the cake for 45 minutes in the car.  Any tips for that?

welcome any further tips and tricks to survive ha --thank you!

2 replies
810whitechoc Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 3

No you don't need to use dowels in the dummy tier.

I have never used the stress free support system so just went and had a quick look on you tube.  On the tutorial I saw, the cakes are not attached but a piece of non skid matting is used between each tier.  That would seriously stress me out and I would definitely attach the cakes with ganache or RI. 

My general rule of thumb is anything three tiers or over I use a centre pole.

Make sure the cake is chilled before you transport it.

Make sure the cake is on a flat surface with non skid matting underneath to prevent your cake boxes from moving (I'm assuming the cakes are all boxed)

Good luck, drive carefully and allow more time than you need for delivery.

kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 3

1)  Do I need to dowel the dummy tier with the support dowels? Should I use a center support dowel through the whole cake?      2) I am traveling with the cake for 45 minutes in the car.  Any tips for that?     I welcome any further tips and tricks to survive ha...........

My general rule of thumb is anything three tiers or over I use a centre pole.      Make sure the cake is chilled before you transport it.       Make sure the cake is on a flat surface with non skid matting underneath to prevent your cake boxes from moving.....  Good luck, drive carefully and allow more time than you need for delivery............

I agree w/the above suggestions.  No need to dowel the dummy.  Styro will support all of the upper tiers with no problem.  Since you are going to travel I suggest using the center dowel but.......don't trust it to solve any and all problems.  Driving carefully like the 'little old lady from Pasadena" will help :)  You don't have to go 5 MPH but just be aware of all the other traffic around you and any potholes in the road.  Don't slam on the brakes or make 50 MPH turns :)   And yes, do give yourself much more time than you think is needed = at least double travel time.

Be sure to take a repair kit with just in case any touch ups need to be done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%