Fondant Help

Decorating By CoolCakeChick Updated 13 Apr 2016 , 3:57pm by CoolCakeChick

CoolCakeChick Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 2:53am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!  I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of quick questions.  I am making a "pregnant belly cake" for a baby shower.  I am using the small/large sports ball pans for the boobs and belly, and I am stacking it on a 11x15 sheet cake.  I don't work with fondant too often, and I don't know how much I will need to cover this cake.  Can anyone help me figure this out?  I am planning to order my fondant online, and I really don't want to order too much, or worse--not have enough.  Also, how thin do you recommend I roll it to cover this much height?  Ugh...fondant stresses me out!  Haha!

2 replies
lisatipperoo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 3

Maybe this chart will help? http://www.wilton.com/cms-fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.html And I would consider covering the 11 x 15 first, then covering the belly and placing it on top- almost treating it like a tiered cake. Just my opinion as I would find that easier. :-) I always seem to mess up the fondant when I try to cover everything all at once. Sorry that's the only advice I have to give!

CoolCakeChick Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 3

LisaTipperoo:  Thanks for the link :-) I previously looked over another guide to figuring out how much I'll need, and it was too much like middle school math class for me, and I faded out.  Hahaha!  Oh and yes, I was planning to cover the cakes separately.  I would be up all night if I tried to do them both at once!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%