Air Pockets Under Fondant

Decorating By sweetlinxo Updated 29 Apr 2016 , 12:14am by Jenmarlene

sweetlinxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlinxo Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 10:34am
post #1 of 10

When ever I cover my cakes with fondant and I'm using vanilla buttercream frosting, I ALWAYS get air pockets under my fondant and it always ends up a disaster! I don't ever have this problem when ever I use chocolate BC. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Should I add more powdered sugar??? 

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 10

Air pockets (I call them cake tumors) come from air trying to leave and not having a place to go. It's strange that you're only getting it with vanilla buttercream, though. Maybe you're whipping it too much? I don't know that that would have any effect on cake tumors...

When you put your next cake together, press down on the tier to really force out any air that could be inside the layers, and when you put the layers together kind of start on one edge and "roll" the layer onto the one it's sitting on, if that makes sense. You don't want to plop the layer down and trap air in between.  Press down on the tier once it's all put together and let it sit for a few hours if you have the time to make sure any air that's trapped in there has a chance to try to make its way out.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 10

Are you getting your b'cream coating smooth?  A common error is not 'massaging' the fondant once applied.   it can be done by hand  but Using cake/fondant smoothers is a BIG help.  Be sure to cover your cake as soon as you finish smoothing out the b'cream and it is still wet.  Do NOT refrigerate to harden the b'cream.   Another thing some decorators swear by (but I never did and didn't have trouble usually) is after the fondant has been smooth/massaged well, take a pin and poke holes all around (about 1" apart) where the top and bottom borders will go.  This will allow any trapped air to escape - yes, even once covered w/piped orders

sweetlinxo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 4:33am
post #4 of 10

Yes it is a nightmare! I dread it when I have to make a cake with vanilla frosting. I always stay up for hours trying to get it right. When ever I do chocolate everything goes absolutely smooth sailing. Im definitely gonna take your guys advice and hopefully everything goes well next week. Thank you!!!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 10:21am
post #5 of 10

A couple of years ago somebody on here advised cutting a small slit in the centre top of the cake after you have finished applying either BC or ganache and then refrigerate (sorry can't remember who).  I decided to try this and it works, as Costumeczar said, it is air trying to escape. I use a small thin knife and carefully and neatly stab it through the top of the cake, I put the cake in a cake box in the coolroom and let it set/rest.  Air has somewhere to escape - no more cake tumors.

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 10

I agree- I use the "chimney" idea too- I just use a small dowel to poke a hole through to let the cake "breathe" while I get the fondant ready. It really seems to help. Anything to give the air a place to go other than underneath the fondant. :-)

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 10

i started poking a popsicle stick down the center of the cake then i would put in the fridge, that way all the air can escape through the hole i made in the middle. havent had a air pocket ever since.

sweetlinxo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 10

Interesting I haven't heard of that method before. I'm certainly gonna give it a try. Thank you everyone!:) 

sweetlinxo Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all soooooo sooo much for all your help!!! Yesterday I made a 2 tier cake and I took everyone's advice and everything with my cake went unbelievably smooth!!! This is the first time this has ever happened and now I look forward to making more cakes in the future and I have you all to thank!!!  :)

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 12:14am
post #10 of 10

Im glad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%