Fondant

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 10 Apr 2016 , 3:05am by costumeczar

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 7:06am
post #1 of 4

I haven't tried any other fondant besides wilton brand. It's always hit or miss on how my cake will turn out. Sometimes it goes on smooth, other times it tears and is hell to use. When I watch videos, other fondant looks very pliable and stretchy. Maybe I don't have it moist enough?

3 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 8:57am
post #2 of 4

Satin Ice is a good one. I'm in UK and get it from a trusted supplier that makes nothing else. You have to knead it until its pliable but not too stretchy and remember its affected by humidity in the air. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 4

It sounds like you are not kneading it enough.  Work it, work it until it is soft.   You can add a bit of flavoring to make it a bit softer and improve the flavor.  I always added about 1/2  teaspoon to a 'lump'  of fondant the fit nicely in my hand (maybe the size of a sm to med rock).   

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 3:05am
post #4 of 4

Some fondants have modeling chocolate in them, Fondarific is one. It tends to stretch more and doesn't dry out as fast because of that. I've been using some Fondx that my friend gave me, and it dries out fast and is hard as a rock, so I checked and it seems to have more gums in it than other brands. It's also very stretchy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%