Please Help!!

Decorating By Kyle Coto Updated 9 Apr 2016 , 12:58pm by Kyle Coto

Kyle Coto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyle Coto Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 3:07am
post #1 of 6

Hello,

So I made a pair of hands out of rice crispy treats and covered them in fondant and I'm not happy with the results and i did this twice, they came out flat and unlife like. is there any support inside the hand that i should put? I want the hands cupped as if they were holding a globe(the theme of the cake is earth and i want the hands to hold the globe)

Please help, thanks!!!!

Here is the picture of the hands i made

[postimage id="3503" thumb="900"]

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 4:40am
post #2 of 6

I think you need to dry them over a small bowl or something to get that cupped look.  

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 11:16am
post #3 of 6

And the thumbs need to join further down the hand - have a look at your own and you'll see what I mean.  Hands are so hard to get right!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 11:25am
post #4 of 6

Quote by @kakeladi on 6 hours ago

I think you need to dry them over a small bowl or something to get that cupped look.  

This and also LizzieAylett's advice.  They don't look THAT bad. Can RCT be resoftened? Maybe a couple of quick microwave bursts fitted   over a bowl?

I've never used them, sorry if that sounds daft lol x

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 11:45am
post #5 of 6

The proportions are a bit odd. The palm is too big and too thick. The thumb should be turned about 30° and also check the length and proportion of the fingers to each other. The pinky shouldn't be thiker.  I would also try and sculpt some of the joints were the fingers start and maybe even the bones from the wrist to those joints you can see on most hands. And lastly I would show a bit of a wrist which will not make the hand look so round.

Having said that hands are not easy! So I think you've done a good job so far.

You should be able to remove the fondant and reheat the RKT in the microwave for a few secs to make it workable again.

Oh...and if you want to hear my 50c...I would have made the hands out off a 50:50 fondant gum paste mixed and used a wire skeleton as support and molded the fondant mix around.

Kyle Coto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyle Coto Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!!!! To all that helped me!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%