How To Make The Top Of This Bridal Shower Dress Cake

Decorating By lmelson Updated 8 Apr 2016 , 8:02am by cakebaby2

lmelson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmelson Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 5

[postimage id="3488" thumb="900"]

Would I use 50/50 fondant gumpaste? It will have to be delivered - it looks like the fondant comes up above the cake - how should it be secured?  Should it be put on after delivery?  I have a bit of fondant experience but not a ton.  Thank you!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 5:09am
post #2 of 5

Wow,,,,..........I continue to be amazed at the talented cake decorators out there.  I agree that the top of the 'dress' is above the top of the cake by some 3 or 4" at least...... but that's all the help I can offer :(

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 7:47am
post #3 of 5

would use 50/50 fondant / gumpaste and let it set up a bit so its not too floppy. I would cut a styrofoam ball in half and use

it as a temp support for the bust, then shape and drape.

cakebaby2 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 7:57am
post #4 of 5

My comp is playing up and posted before I finished. Fondant a good 3/4" above cake and wrapped around probably in 2/3 pieces to get that nice drape. Don't try this at the venue, you'll be panicked LOL! Wrap the "back " around First and support it with card or acetate or something, place your fake boob Styrofoam halves (criscoed) and shape your front and draping.

That's how I'd do it, someone else may have a simpler method but as long as your 50/50 isn't too floppy it should adhere to the Styrofoam halves. I really don't see how this could be done onsite I'd want it to firm up and dry overnight.

Ive used the Styrofoam spheres for shaping "hanging baskets" on the sides of cakes that give the illusion of suspension, they make great molds for spherical tricks. Good luck!

cakebaby2 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 8:02am
post #5 of 5

obviously, the demi spheres and supporting card at the back are removed when your shape is firm and dry (just in case it needed to be mentioned)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%