Help! Need To Know Serving Size For A Cake With A Hole In It!

Baking By taa-daa Updated 9 Apr 2016 , 11:59am by taa-daa

taa-daa Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a princess crown cake for 30, one layer. My plan is to cut out all but three inches on the inside of the cake so I have the circumference I need for the crown. How large of a round pan would I need so that the servings will equal 30? Thanks!

7 replies
ropalma Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

A 10" should give you 30 servings

taa-daa Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 8

That would be if I was using the entire layer correct? I am cutting a circle out of the round cake about three inches from the outside edge and will be losing six inches of cake on the inside.

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 5:03am
post #4 of 8

So basically you want to make a "tube" cake.   I would guess it would need to be at least 14" round to serve 30.  Each serving would be about 1" wide by 3" deep by 2" tall.   I'm terrible at math but I think the 14"  should come close for you.  Mease around a 14" pan and see if it measures 30 around,

julia1812 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 8:56am
post #5 of 8

Have a look here: A 10" cake has a circumference of 32". If you want 1x2 size serving go for a 12"cake and have a ring that's 2" wide. Otherwise you would need to go for even bigger. 

But to be honest I would do a smallish cake and have the inside you "don't use" served on the side. So for example make a 12" cake, cut out a 10" from inside, do your crown but then frost (and decorate) the 10" to ensure there are enough servings.

Or even have a 10" cake with a huge (9") piped royal icing crown on top.

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 8

Aahhhh Julia you are so math smart :)  

taa-daa Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 11:59am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone, for all of your contributions! I knew that I could do a two layer, but that would take the "look" of the crown away. I jockeyed between Earline's and Wilton's cake charts and I ended up making a 12", cut about 7" out... and made cupcakes with little tiaras on top of them. I ran the addition of the cupcakes past my customer first her response was "Sure, whatever you want to do." My favorite kind of customer. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%