Best Cupcake Fillings/ Flavor Combos With Chocolate Cake

Baking By kger Updated 7 Apr 2016 , 1:38am by kristykgs

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 13

We're having a work party on Friday to celebrate 3 different birthdays.  I'm in charge of the baked goods, so I decided to do a triple batch of chocolate cupcakes and just do 3 different flavor combos to represent the different people.  I baked 5 dozen mini chocolate cupcakes last night (Black Magic recipe).

-1 birthday person wants chocolate / raspberry (fill straight with raspberry preserves? fill with a raspberry flavored ganache?)

-1 birthday person wants chocolate / peanut butter (stuff with a pb truffle ball?)

-1 birthday person said to do whatever I want

So, the challenge is:  cupcakes are already baked (and they are minis).  What are OMG fillings/toppings to go with chocolate cake? I've already set the bar quite high based on my previous offerings to work-related gatherings.

12 replies
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 13

I have a few chocolates that I fill.

1) I do one with raspberry preserves, use chocolate frosting, garnish with drizzle of raspberry preserve. Very good

2) I do a reese's - chocolate cake / filled with chocolate peanut butter ganache / frost with 2 frosting - peanut butter and chocolate / garnish with chocolate drizzle

3) whatever you want - you could do death by chocolate: filled with chocolate ganache / then dipped in ganache / frosted with choc. frosting. 2) do strawberries using preserve 3) you could do a smoker's: fill with marshmallow cream and graham crackers  / frosted with choc. frosting and toasted marshmallow on top

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 13

Chocolate/raspberry: I would fill the cupcake with some raspberry preserves and top with a raspberry mousse frosting. If you want something a little more stable if it's going to sit out make a SMBC and flavour it with raspberry preserves. 

Chocolate/peanut butter: I've made chocolate cupcakes with a cream cheese peanut butter frosting (sounds weird, tastes amazing) and they were fantastic. I finished them with some shaved dark chocolate on top. I used 8 T butter, 1 block Philadelphia cream cheese, approximately 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (not organic or the oil will separate in the frosting) and 3.5 cups powdered sugar. 

For the third cupcake you could do a mocha chocolate cupcake. Fill with some ganache and top with espresso buttercream. 

kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 13

I love the ideas kristykgs!

kristykgs Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you Kramersl. I like yours too. I would love to do some mousse's or flavored cream cheeses, but being a home baker, I am not allowed to do that due to refrigeration issues. I've thought about doing it anyway, but don't want people to get sick. I do make red velvet with homemade cream cheese but I put a label on it "to be refridgerated".

kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah, food safety can be an issue. If I am baking for home or friends I'll use cream cheese or whipped cream. If I am making something for a client I'll sometimes do a coconut whipped cream (but tell them it will melt if left out too long) or I'll add vinegar to the buttercream to give it a cream cheese tang. 

kristykgs Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 13

LOL.. I bought some vinegar and am going to try the buttercream. Still trying to find a buttercream worth a damn. Which one do you use

kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 13

I use IMBC. A little labor intensive but is delicious and pipes like a dream!

kristykgs Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 13

Ya know, I haven't tried IMBC. I use SMBC - because I haven't found a ABC that I like. have you ever used SMBC? If so, do you find IMBC stiffer? 

kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 13

I used to use SMBC until I made IMBC. IMBC is stiffer than SMBC (that's why I prefer it). I now only use SMBC when I make an actual cream cheese frosting. 

kristykgs Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:58am
post #11 of 13

Thanks. Tomorrow is a baking day, think I will try the IMBC. Do you mind sharing the quantities of ingredients? I know there are several on the internet, but they all have different amounts. Just curious 

kramersl Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 1:10am
post #12 of 13

I use Martha Stewart's recipe and it comes out perfect every time. Her directions aren't exactly right though… It says to beat only 3 minutes after adding the hot syrup before you add the butter. It's really more like 10-15 minutes. Just like with SMBC you want the mixture to cool before you add the butter or you will end up with soup, but if this happens just refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour and beat it until it's fluffy. http://www.marthastewart.com/356465/italian-meringue-buttercream

kristykgs Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 1:38am
post #13 of 13

Thanks. i use her SMBC and it's perfect. I never go by the times anyway..I go by sight and feel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%