The Marie Celeste?

Lounge By cakebaby2 Updated 3 May 2016 , 11:56am by 810whitechoc

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 7:50am
post #1 of 50

Okay, where is everyone?

I've tried unsuccessfully to get back on CC for months after the "improvements" were made to the site. I could still find anything I wanted using Google so I didn't bother too much, but I finally had another stab at it yesterday and it worked!

Great to see K8, Kakeladi, CZ, Apti and MB Alaska still around plus some new cake friends in the making but what's with all the unanswered posts and cries for help with only 1 or 2 replies?

In the old days posts went on for a couple or even several pages where advice was literally flowing?

Some new posters may not know of the thousands snippets of advice in the archives (if they haven't been lost)

I answered one this morning regarding exclusive vendors contracts which the poor soul had been waiting ages to have answered. Now I know diddly squat about exclusive vendor contracts, but I remember a host of folk who did so I pointed her to a couple of names and the search box.

Hopefully she will find the old threads where professional people argued the pro's and con's of such contracts and good advice was given.

With a few exceptions threads are short lonely little places...I scrubbed up real clean to come back on here so I hope its not me LOL!

49 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:48am
post #2 of 50

when this board went through the changes -- over time other groups were sought out or formed -- so there's that too -- 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:52am
post #3 of 50

it's not you at all -- just a different flavored board now for sure -- yes seems a little lonely slightly bleak at times but less drama is a good thing too

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 11:49am
post #4 of 50

I think it is going to take a while for CC to come back to it's full strength, you are right there are a lot of people no longer on here.  I am though Hi Cakebaby2, welcome back smiley.png

cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 50

Well you two wee dollies are still here and The Reigning Miss Alaska and the others I mentioned upthread and that's the main thing. it just seemed so sad to see all the forlorn little "Please Help" posts from months back with only your good self giving one answer or even worse no answer at all. I suppose it will take time to build it up again, the length of time it took to fix most likely put people off and lets face it, its hardly as if there are a shortage of cake blogs/videos/tutorials etc. on the www.?

Cant find the UK bakers either and they were a wild bunch and a right good laugh too, still at least we have most of the archives

Well I've been caking away, even got my dream job as baker in a high end patisserie......lasted 3 months K8...not for me at all and only took me 50 odd years to know the true meaning of that old phrase "Be careful what you wish for"

Anyway, I don't want to waste all my exciting japes since I've been away on my first few days...you'll get it drip fed LOL!

To Be Continued x

cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 50

Quote by @-K8memphis on 10 hours ago

it's not you at all -- just a different flavored board now for sure -- yes seems a little lonely slightly bleak at times but less drama is a good thing too

A little drama would kick the pants of this sad sack!

Browsing galleries was an eye opener too!

The "newest" cakes, lovely though they are is a bit of a  swizz?
They are shameless adverts

Bakers who NEVER posted in the forum but are blatantly advertising their stuff by creating threads with nothing but praise and gushing? 

I preferred the drama, the difference of opinion, the actual Learning.

(There are some who have posted pics in the gallery...but not in the forums since 2014,... yet they are on newest pics?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:08am
post #7 of 50

Let's fly to the Azores and investigate!!

maybe there's a huge sugar festival on the island.

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 50

Sorry I been occupied with fighting with Swedish bureaucracy  and I am not winning.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 50

i love a good drama but not the ugly stuff --

one of my favorite threads on here was a sweet caker in california who hadn't done a cake in ages but was in the midst of doing her daughter's wedding cake and dress and veil and nearly burned her kitchen down and we talked her through it and it was the best -- this is great drama -- and teaching peeps is great too -- love me some cake board

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 50

why are we going to the azores and what about the swedish bureaucracy -- 

i'm thinking swedish bureaucracy because you can't get a business going?

and yes this place used to rock with the amount of posts -- you could easily be behind by a page or more with just a half day gone by -- 

a little slower is cool although it can get a little forlorn at times -- i agree w/you there

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 50

The life was sucked right out of cc when the spammers and update issues happened. I could never sign on and finally just got tired of trying. Also there was a period of time when it seemed like the  people posting threads weren't really here for advice at all. I'm not sure if cc will return to its past glory or not kind of sad bc I think I joined when it was doing really well and shortly after the the issues started with spam and updates. We shall see I suppose :)

CatPoet Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 50

Well in Sweden it is easier   to open a beauty salon and blast people with lasers and  inject them with stuff with out formal training then it is  to open a cake shop. The law has not  changed fast enough and there is  horrible loop holes. But if I wanted to  open a cake shop I need  to be a baker with a degree in baking.  Which I dont have.  

Nah , what I been doing is just trying to get and early retirement since my muscles no longer work as they should.  What is for  you a light stroll to the store is for me a trek up the rocky mountains.  But so far I have gotten no to this, oh well  I will see what  happens in the future.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 50

yeah that kind of stuff is not easy at all, @catpoet -- hope all goes very well for you -- and first and foremost that you regain your health but at least that you get the assistance you need/deserve!

CatPoet Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 50

So long I dont do more then my limits I am sort of fine, I can handle daily life so far. How ever right now I am dog tired and naps everyday and  the sun is shining outside and I am hiding in bed. *sigh*

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 50

(((hugs)))

CatPoet Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 7:19pm
post #16 of 50

Thanks. There is no cure so far for this but there things I can do to have a life.

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 7:49am
post #17 of 50

You were looking for the UK bakers K8?

They have their own site now, the tinkering with this just went on too long for them.

It's quite a funny name  CC refugees or something like that, I'll go back and find out for you and send a PM.

Its invitation only and there is one lovely "rescue party" that pops on here occasionally to lead the injured to safety LOL!

I got my invite YAY!!!!

The archives are still a wealth of info here, just sad that all that experience and talent (present co. excepted) is no longer here to interact in real time.

That thread you mentioned K8 is years old , no one would find that today, the old guard are gone.

It would be a couple of experts and a handful of newbies posting days or hours apart.

I miss the function that showed who was online at any given time?

Obviously that would be an embarrassing function now.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 12:19pm
post #18 of 50

i come on here to almost exclusively yap here in the forums although i was quite honored to be asked to submit a story to the magazine once -- and while i don't know for sure just a guess i think there are many zillions of cc admirers of all the other many different avenues here that make up this sweet little city -- everything changes -- 

i think cc is to be commended for having hung on open for business this long -- off top of my head i can think of over a dozen previously active cake boards that are pushing up gumpaste daisies -- 

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 12:59pm
post #19 of 50

I'm glad to see there is still some of he old guard left.  I started backing off coming here after the first big brouhaha and exodus, I pretty much stopped posting questions or answers two years ago when the dynamic seemed to change overnight.  I miss the fun an commeraderie to be found here.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 2:11pm
post #20 of 50

here here heykittykitty -- nice to see you -- hey do you mean when we left off being like 'there's no such thing as a dumb question' to whatever it was we got into after that --

i too miss the camaraderie -- i think it's still underneath here somewhere....

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 2:17pm
post #21 of 50

clarifications:

*herekittykitty not heykittykitty -- autocorrect >sigh<

not looking to be refreshed/reminded on 'whatever it was we got into after that' -- that first time was more than enough --

onward upward cakeward

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:05pm
post #22 of 50

Oh, no worries, no rehashing here.  But yes, that is when I just gave up.  Maybe it is time to try again.  I learned so much and enjoyed the interactions with other like minded cakers.  smiley.png

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:32pm
post #23 of 50

But it wasn't a "sweet little city" K8 it was a thriving pulsing thing with  threads zipping along.....and now its not .

Cake Central was built on the (unpaid) knowledge and tutorage,  not to mention experience, of people who appear to have left (apart from you and a few others)

Its the only reason I joined it, I hate forums.

I've been baking 30 + years and I wanted to up my decorating skills to make a very special wedding cake for my daughter.

The archives are still here even though those who provided the free knowledge in them have left, I hope new members make use of them, they will learn a lot.

The casual observer looking for inspiration may glance at the" recent" posts (2 months + old) and conclude there is not much here for them that they cant find on YouTube.

It's a crying shame, might be sweeter, certainly not more useful.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:34pm
post #24 of 50

The problem that I'm running into for the last few days is that the only posts I can see are the ones on the homepage. When I click "forums" it says that something went wrong. So I can't see anything but three or four posts, and if I don't have anything to add to those I don't post...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:36pm
post #25 of 50

Annnnd, apparently the Help button isn't working for me either, so I can't even report the problem so that they know about it.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:27pm
post #26 of 50

my point is that there's more to cc than the forums whatever the activity level -- the real zippiness left more like probably 5 years ago --

it's a free place to talk about cakes -- i like it -- would be nice to all come together as the family we can be and do our thing --

nobody's standing in our way including moi -- zip on

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:31pm
post #27 of 50

kara, i put in a help ticket for you because the same thing is happening for me -- and while i cannot get the 'forum' to post the pages of new posts -- i can go to each individual one like 'baking, decorating' and get lists that way but not all of them -- like yesterday i could not get into 'business' and sometimes i can go to someone's name and get a list of posts too -- just saying

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:36pm
post #28 of 50

i could be imagining this but i think jackie is working on something when the "forums" whole long list of all the latest posts doesn't work -- yesterday it went into "closed for repairs" for a few -- i don't know like i said i totally made that up but i still believe it -- plus there hasn't been poop piles of spam idk maybe that's some kind of deterrent -- keeps us from posting stuck_out_tongue.png

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:41pm
post #29 of 50

yes same thing today i can get to each forum except "all" and "business"

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 4:43pm
post #30 of 50

I'm getting" OOPS something went wrong" when following links or trying to look at pics.

Looking back at posts from a year ago this seems to have been going on then and everyone was reporting it.

Latest posts are never more than about 5 on the right hand side of the page. Is that as high as it shows?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%