How To Get This Cake Effect

Decorating By cpwaters Updated 16 Apr 2016 , 3:53am by bubs1stbirthday

cpwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpwaters Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 11

There is a cake I have seen posted on Pinterest a few times now and I'm hoping someone knows the one I will describe as I can't figure out how to paste the picture on here and that someone knows how to get the effect. It is a tiered cake done in navy blue with birds. It is all, including the birds on the front of one of the tiers, all done in shades of navy blue. It looks like to me it's painted but, if so, I'm not sure how the birds were made into the design. Thank you to anyone that knows which cake I'm referring to.

10 replies
cpwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpwaters Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:17am
post #2 of 11

This is the cake I was referring to in my previous post. Does anyone know how this effect was done?[postimage id="3478" thumb="900"]

Lynnie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnie01 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 11:58am
post #3 of 11

Hi

Try there's a spray called "mist" simply get a stencil that has the bird design place it over the cake and spray the mist over. Alternately spray the mist to get the picture and then airbrush or use a paint brush and free hand design/paint around the picture.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 11

I would maybe paint the bird and any other part I want white, with plain cocoa butter or other clear fat, then paint the rest around using gel colours diluted with vodka - I think it's called the colour resist technique?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 11

WOW!! That is one beautiful cake with the bird!! Boy, there are truly some very artistic people in the cake decorating arena!!! Awesome!!!!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 11

I love it, reminds me of the Willow pattern coffee set my mother had.

Just remember girls(, because I know these art works can intimidate) , it may be a dummy, worked on over several days to reach competition standard, its something to aspire to not knock out for an undeserving client.

Whoever designed and executed it has a marvelous eye for detail and you just know some little sweaty bridal hand will be clutching a pic of it....with a few of her own changes of course.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 11

And an unrealistic budget.

Quote by @cakebaby2 on 2 minutes ago

I love it, reminds me of the Willow pattern coffee set my mother had.

Just remember girls(, because I know these art works can intimidate) , it may be a dummy, worked on over several days to reach competition standard, its something to aspire to not knock out for an undeserving client.

Whoever designed and executed it has a marvelous eye for detail and you just know some little sweaty bridal hand will be clutching a pic of it....with a few of her own changes of course.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 10:52am
post #8 of 11

Given that the cake is in a row of quite a number of other cakes, it is probably a dummy. 

My guess is - stencils and very light dusting over them to get the main patterns laid out, then spirit-diluted colors brushed on in progression from lightest to darkest. Paper towel "scrubbing" for whiter flowers, and erasing on sides,  to give the fuzzy effect, and more of paintbrush strokes for dark popping color. Kind of like what one would do on canvas/watercolor paper with appropriate medium. 

Very pretty cake though, makes me want to try doing that. I wish I had all the time in the world (and a corresponding amount of $) to just do artistic stuff :-)

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:01am
post #9 of 11

This cake was made by Nevie Pie cakes.....their site has some tutorials....maybe it could give some insight??

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:01am
post #10 of 11

This cake was made by Nevie Pie cakes.....their site has some tutorials....maybe it could give some insight??

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:53am
post #11 of 11

It looks to me that the whole cake has been painted in blue and then the 'white' parts have been removed with a wet paintbrush, maybe wet with alchohol so that the area dries in a reasonable amount of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%