Beading Around Cake

Decorating By Lynz1312 Updated 6 Apr 2016 , 1:38pm by costumeczar

Lynz1312 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 11

900_beading-around-cake_98703957041a0e980de.jpgHi, in need of help – does anyone know where I can source the beading that would wrap around a cake, like the one in this photo?

10 replies
SweetieVie Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 11

I wonder if you could air brush sprinkles and dragees the silver color? I am thinking you would have to do multiple coats though.I haven't seen the elongated in silver, but it sure is pretty...Possibly not edible?

Nat1980 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 11

I wonder if they cut the fondant pieces out that are beaded, got it wet or iced it then rolled it or set it face down in the edible beads? its very pretty. 

Creativeconfectioner Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 11

6022.jpg

http://www.flourconfections.com/dragee-silver-macaroni-500-p-5488.html

marquidragee.jpg

http://www.kcwholesale.co.nz/node/998

Along with 2 sizes of round draggee..........this is stunning hand work with piping gel :)

Lynz1312 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 5:40am
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone, was hoping there was a trick of the trade here but had a feeling it would be done by hand and all I would need is a LOT of patience! 

cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 6:22am
post #6 of 11

This kind of handwork is worth hundreds possibly thousands of pounds/ dollars, for an alternative but equally attractive finish, florist/dressmaking suppliers sell ribbon/trim like this in pearl and silver beadwork.

So unless you really want to undertake the hours for fabulous reward I'd make friends with Google lol x 

LelekBolek Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:57am
post #7 of 11

I think I would try to assemble the beading faster on - perhaps? - a cut-to-design sheet of wafer paper (color matched to the cake), let set, and apply to the cake. Then cover the edges, and any bold spots, with a more precise placing of the beads.

Doing each bead by hand would drive the price up-crazy! 

cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 11

Quote by @LelekBolek on 1 hour ago

I think I would try to assemble the beading faster on - perhaps? - a cut-to-design sheet of wafer paper (color matched to the cake), let set, and apply to the cake. Then cover the edges, and any bold spots, with a more precise placing of the beads.

Doing each bead by hand would drive the price up-crazy! 

That could work, or even a strip of cakelace before it sets completely?

Lynz1312 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 11

Great ideas! Thanks, the wafer paper might be the way to go.  Places them all on by hand might also drive me crazy!! 

Creativeconfectioner Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 11

Lynz1312

I was thinking ....if you choose one of your ball dragees to be of the smaller variety.......then you may be able to use the technique used for funfetti decorated cakes........you can map out your area for the dragees with piping gel....then place your larger dragees by hand to make an irregular pattern as was shown then have the tiny ball draggees fill in the spaces....you will need small ones because they would most easily fill in the odd spaces created by the bigger dragees......I found a video (funfetti) but would give the general idea........I did funfetti on Fondant before even though the vid is using a buttercream cake....hope it helps :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJgTOUSEko&nohtml5=False

costumeczar Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 11

This is super easy to do...Just paint the fondant with piping gel or a thin layer of corn syrup to make it sticky, then press small dragees onto it. No need to do anything tricky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%