First Wedding!!!!

Decorating By I-heart-cupcaKes Updated 5 Apr 2016 , 9:51pm by Apti

I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 6

I have my first wedding in one month! I am freaking myself out! I've made individual cakes of different sizes. Stacked two small cakes, but I've never done a three tiered stacked cake. It will be a 10, 8 and 6. Not huge (all buttercream except the 8" layer which will be fondant) which is why I think I can do this! But I'm starting to freak out! Any advice would be great from the simplest to the greatest since this is my first time! I normally only do cupcakes, but I want to expand into wedding cakes. I own a suv, should I assemble on sight? Stack at home ( yeah, that's the other thing I'm a home based baker) and transport with it assembled? What tools will make this easier?? I have so many questions!

5 replies
cathicake Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

Have you looked at Cakestackers?  The system makes your cake so secure you can transport either preassembled, or assemble it on site.  Check out the different systems available on their website:  cakestackers.com

Apti Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

Best recommendation:  Watch youtube videos first, THEN make a practice 3 layer cake exactly like the one you will be making for the wedding.

By making the practice cake, you will know how much time, how it works, etc. 

It will also dramatically lessen the "freaking out".... lol

I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for that advice! I will definitely take that into account! I just need to buy a 10" cakes dummy. I have the other two already. I just can't see myself wasting product doing a real practice cake! I don't know who I'd give it to!

Apti Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6

Actually, I recommend actually making REAL cake since that is the only way to REALLY get the feel of stacking/torting/filling/doweling etc.  Also, it is the only way you can then practice "taking the cake apart" and "serving".

There is a vast difference between practicing with real cake and cake dummies.  Personally, I do not recommend cake dummies for anything other than show entries or display cakes for customers. 

I started as a hobby baker/decorator in 2010 at the age of 50 with ZERO knowledge.  About five years and MANY cakes later, I'm comfortable making just about anything and have found I like to use buttercream far more than fondant (just my personal preference).

There is NO substitute for making REAL cakes and frosting.  Trust me on this...

There is NO substitute for stacking, torting, filling, frosting, using fondant on a real cake, then UN-stacking, cutting and serving the recommended number of servings.  This is an area of cake decorating that is rarely talked about and should be talked about a LOT. 

Think of the "expense" as a Cake Class taken from a fabulous teacher.  No amount of classes online or in person can duplicate the experience of your own real cake.

Ideas for donating practice cakes or cake slices:

Fire Department, Police Department, local convalescent home Staff (not patients), local elementary/middle/high school teacher's Lounges.  Simply call them ahead of time and tell them you are practicing in preparation for a future business opportunity and wish to donate some practice cake to them.  They'll say YES.

Apti Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 6

If you may be cutting the cake at your "first wedding", then you MUST practice ahead of time.  I have lots of tips/links available. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%