Making Black Mmf Fondant

Baking By JodiCake Updated 7 Apr 2016 , 2:19pm by JodiCake

JodiCake Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 1:36am
post #1 of 10

I'm making a batch of black MMF fondant for a cake order this weekend. Generally I add the color after I've made the fondant and let it set overnight. I was wondering if any of my fellow decorators have added the color while mixing the fondant, and if so, was it more successful in getting the rich dark black than adding it later as I've been doing? 

9 replies
kramersl Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 10

I've never added it after I've made it so I'm not sure how it would compare. I add the gel colour before I add the powdered sugar and I always get a nice rich black. 

JodiCake Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you kramersl, that's what I was thinking. I need to make both black and red, but didn't want to waste ingredients in case it wouldn't turn out. Thanks again!

theresaf Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 10

I recently bought Black cocoa powder.  So to make a black mmf I made a chocolate mmf and then added the black gel coloring.  I really did not need to use a lot of black gel to get it to the black color.  Made it a few days ahead of when I needed it and it was a great black color (I made a camera cake).  It was delicious because it tasted like a tootsie roll !  I highly recommend the black cocoa powder (several avail through Amazon!)

Good luck

T

JodiCake Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 10

I've not heard of black cocoa powder before #theresaf, sounds like a great way to make delicious tasting fondant easily. I'll have to try and source some here in Canada.

ypierce82 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 10

I always add my black to the marshmallows after they have melted. About 1 tbsp gets me where I need to be. I definitely agree with making it a dew days ahead to give the color time to develop. 

jchuck Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:17am
post #7 of 10
JennySamoa Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:53am
post #8 of 10

I add black food gel and black candy melts after I melt the marshmallows; before the powdered sugar

JodiCake Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 10

I thought about starting with a brown base jchuck, thanks for the suggestion. I made it yesterday, added the black while the marshmallows were melted before adding the icing sugar. The color turned out nice and dark, much better than fighting with adding the black top remade white fondant. 

JodiCake Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 10

JennySamoa, I may try the candy route with a future batch. I've heard about it having a successful result. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%