Venue Stacking Cakes

Decorating By labelladolce Updated 6 Apr 2016 , 6:46am by cakebaby2

labelladolce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelladolce Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 12:00am
post #1 of 5

Hey, 

I was just curious to find out if anyone else has had a similar issue to what I experienced tho weekend. 

I delivered 2 individual cakes to a wedding venue. 1 was a square slab cake with a rough finish on a thin uncovered silver board; the other was a single tier semi naked cake finished on a masonite board covered with fondant and finished with a ribbon. They required refrigeration so I couldn't set them up then and there, into the fridge they went. 

I have recently seen images of the cake and spoken with the bride and a staff member at the venue stacked the cakes to create a two tier cake (which looked shocking). After speaking with the venue manager, and getting no where with our discussion, his excuse was they they have many cake decorators leave individual tiers at the venue that the venue staff then stack. I found this very hard to believe, I could't imagine leaving such a delicate job up to staff/waiters that you don't even know.  

Has anyone else experienced a situation similar or do you leave your tiers to be stacked and finished by the venue?

I'll look forward to hearing your responses. 

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

I would assume that if the cake is meant to be stacked, the decorator would do it. A tiered cake can still be put in the fridge. There would be no way that I would leave that up to a waiter or some random Joe to do. If it collapsed, the bride would be calling you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 2:06am
post #3 of 5

No, I've never heard of a venue stacking the cake, that's bizarre.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 2:43am
post #4 of 5

Someone took a cake and plopped it on the other one? At least one staff person is on drugs. 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 6:46am
post #5 of 5

It's quite common in UK that the higher end venues have experienced catering staff to do this. It was a godsend for an acquaintance of mine when a family member insisted on making the wedding cake without skills or experience.

The kitchen had to shore up the bottom tier with cardboard which they Royal iced and basically cobble together the whole support system. I'm sure its the same in US in the high end venues, they must see a few cakewrecks they have to rescue when the caker's enthusiasm is not matched by skill....obviously not in this case OP x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%