Fondant Covering

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 4 Apr 2016 , 7:02pm by joeyww12000

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 3

I've read a lot of people apply fondant on a cold cake. It sounds great in theory but I haven't been able to do it. Well I did but I had to move extremely quick and it didn't turn out how I would prefer. I use The Mat to apply fondant and when you put it on a cold cake it gets tacky very quickly. Does this happen to anyone else? I'd love to be able to chill my cakes and apply my fondant without worry of messing up my buttercream.

2 replies
mammacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammacookie Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 3

Are you using homemade MMF or which brand? Are your cakes frozen or just refrigerated?  I always refrigerate my cakes before covering & have never had any issues. You do need to work fairly quickly, but it shouldn't get too tacky. Maybe try dusting it with a bit of powdered sugar or corn starch? Is the fondant maybe too tacky to begin with?

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 3

The Mat just keeps the fondant fresh with no need to use any cornstarch or powdered sugar to keep it from sticking. It's definitely slick to the touch but not tacky. The cakes were frozen, but I had saw someone do it before and they didn't have any issues. I use Wilton fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%