Cleaning Edible Lacquer Off My Brushes!

Decorating By Markie1 Updated 3 Apr 2016 , 10:45pm by costumeczar

Markie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Markie1 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 4

Does anybody have any ideas about solvents? Soap and water only make t worse!

thanks...

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 4

I know what you mean.  I've used vodka and lemon extract before.  And vegetable oil.  It's been a while, so I cant really remember which one worked best, lol!  I'll be interested in seeing other responses.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 4

My first line of defense is to use cheap brushes that I throw away.  If I really have to save the brush, I soak it in Everclear--the highest alcohol content booze I can buy.  Be aware that some bristles will actually melt and degrade when cleaned, too.

The FDA cites isopropyl alcohol as GRAS [generally regarded as safe] for cleaning equipment that comes in contact with food, so I'd think that you could also use 90% isopropyl .  I find that at my local drugstore.  I'd just rinse the brushes very well after use.

Isopropanol, isopropyl alcohol - SOLV, REG, <250 ppm as residue in modified hop extract - 172.560; <50 ppm as residue - In mfr of spice oleoresins - 173.240; 6 ppm - In mfr of lemon oil - 173.240; 2% by wt - In hop extract as residue from extraction of hops in mfr of beer - 173.240; AF, REG, GMP, Comp of defoaming agent for processing beet sugar and yeast - 173.340; SANI, REG, GMP, Adequate drainage - May be used on food processing equip and on food-con-tact surfaces - 178.1010(b)(17); SANI, REG, < 40 ppm Adequate drainage; May be used on food processing equip and on glass containers for holding milk - 178.1010(b)(7)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 4

I bought some cleaner that's specifically for candy glaze and it's the only thing I've found that works. I do the throw-that-brush-out thing too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%