What Are Your Steps To Perfectly Smooth Fondant?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 5 Apr 2016 , 9:55am by cakebaby2

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 6

HI!  I've been chasing the elusive "smooth sides and crisp corners" of a fondant covered cake for quite a while now!  And, I'd love to hear from those of you who now easily achieve that perfectly covered fondant cake!

I have been searching the web for years on tips to achieve my goal and it's left me with more questions than answers.  

So, what are your steps between baking and a finished fondant cake?  

Do you use buttercream or ganache?  How much do you apply?  Do you apply fondant to a freshly iced cake or not?   Do you refrigerate your iced cake before adding fondant?  What are the smoothing secrets you've learned?

I'd love to hear from all of you experts your step by step process. Numerical or steps listed from top to bottom are appreciated over directions listed in paragraph form. ;)

Thank you so much in advance! :)))))

5 replies
shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

I am by no means an expert but I cover my cakes in ganache, i then put my ganached cake in the fridge then when I'm ready to cover I use massa ticino fondant which I love love love!!! I then roll it out on to The mat so I use no icing/ powdered sugar which dries it out then put onto cake use a cake smoother then a couple of flexi smoothers which are amazing!! They polish the cake and give super sharp edges HTH!!

weluvpiggies Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, what exactly is a 'flexi' smoother and this is the first I've heard of "massa ticino" fondant as well.  I generally use Wilton or make my own MMF since I have easy access.   :)

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 6

Anyone else want to share their steps and/or advice?

Thanks!!! :)))

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:55am
post #6 of 6

The only fool proof 100% success is practice practice etc but in the meantime my tip is work quickly and confidently with a superior product. I'm in the UK and use sugarpastedirect.com whenever I have a special cake to do. Its a long established family business which specializes in one product. If its just a quick cake for a coffee morning I'll use whatever is around but I've found the more you let the slippery stretchy stuff intimidate you the worse it behaves. Measure it, roll it out and slap it on a well chilled cake, and off you go.

Since I hate spending cash on "essentials" I use a cut off from an oilskin tablecloth to roll it out on, never need to add extra icing sugar or cornflour.

Its my homemade "mat".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%