Transfering An Iced Cake

Decorating By sarahthewolf Updated 3 Apr 2016 , 3:35am by Cher2309b

sarahthewolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahthewolf Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 12:25am
post #1 of 5

i was wondering how i could transfer iced cake to a card board platter with out it falling apart. thanks

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 2:09am
post #2 of 5

If it's in the fridge and the icing is hard it will be a lot easier. Do you have to take the cake off of a board that it's already on completely? It can be done, but really, make sure the cake is totally cold, like in the fridge overnight cold. Run a spatula around the base of the cake to break any seal that formed with whatever it's on, then slide a large spatula under it, or better yet something like one of those flexible cutting mats that's thin plastic and you can slide underneath it to lift it in one piece. Work carefully!

I'll add that I wouldn't try this with a cake that's any larger than about 10" across, and I've been doing cakes for 20 years. So if it's the first time you're trying it I wouldn't do it with anything larger than about an 8" round!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 2:44am
post #3 of 5

The only other suggestion I have is to keep it on whatever it is already on the just glue that to the new board.   If what it is on now is bigger than the cake (such as a 10" cake on a 12" board) cut off the extra as close to the cake as you can get.  Pull the cake to the table edge and run a sharp knife into the board as close as you can get it and then all around.   I've seen this done by someone who make all their wedding cakes this way.  It's one of those things that words do not really paint a good picture of;)

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 3:25am
post #4 of 5

You could flip it over (I use an acrylic board with parchment on it), switch the board, then flip it back. Chilled of course.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 3:35am
post #5 of 5

I would use a cake lifter; it's a purpose made tool for that very situation. Mine is 10 inches (about 25 cm) in diameter with an offset handle. 

Re the comment by costumeczar, if you haven't done this, then please, in future, attach your cake (permanently) to a cake card before you start working with it. Then, any lifting is under the card rather than directly under the cake.

I hope all goes well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%