Geniouse Sponge Cake

Baking By Gilly44 Updated 3 Apr 2016 , 11:02am by Gilly44

Gilly44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gilly44 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

Hello again fellow bakers out there, another question to put to you, what is the best way to decorate a Genoise sponge cake? Is it possible to cover with fondant, as the sponge is so light would the fondant be to heavy? Advice please. 

5 replies
VanillaGorilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaGorilla Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Gilly. I'm a newbie with only 1 forum question posted, but I do lots of baking/decorating that began for me about 30 years ago. My first thought was to frost with a fluffy buttercream--I beat the butter for a as long as 10 minutes depending on the amount, then use a little less sugar than the original recipe calls for, and beat again for an extra-long time. After frosting, use a hot spatula to give it a super-smooth finish, then decorate as desired. Just curious, what size cake/how many layers are you using?

Gilly44 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 6

I am going to bake two layer 7 inch genoise sponge cake. Just thought that fondant would be to heavy,  am I right in thinking that , or could I place a thin layer of fondant. after the crumb coat of buttercream. I look forward to your reading expert opion.TIA . 

Gilly44 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 6

At the moment I eat sleep and dream cake.  I am keen on taking this forward,  so at the moment I am just practicing on family and friends. Any advice would be much appreciated.  

VanillaGorilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaGorilla Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6

I am a self-taught decorator (back when I started there were no local classes, and certainly no internet!). I am not a fan of fondant (except where looks are concerned), so I've only used it for small decorations. After reading other threads, it does seem that it would be possible to cover your cake with a thin fondant layer. But here's a wild thought I had before--what about a super-thin layer of modeling chocolate? This is something that I'm about to try on 6" cakes that I'm making as thank-you gifts. The first time I used it I made up my mind to never use fondant again if at all possible. It's incredibly easy to work with and can be rolled really thinly. (I was able to make very thin petals for rosebuds.) The two complicating factors were my hands getting hot and slightly melting it (I periodically cooled them in cold water--I tend to be hot-natured!), and also fingerprints as my hands got hot (put on vinyl gloves). 

I wish I could be more help! But unfortunately my experience hasn't led me down the path you're taking. Please let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it. It seems that the more I bake and decorate the more I have to learn! Good luck!

Gilly44 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 11:02am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your input. I will take on board all that you gave suggest.  I baked my first Genoise cake yesterday and I am  thrilled with how they have turned out. I agree with you about the fondant,  I'm not a huge fan, but that is what i have been using lately on my grandchildren birthday cakes.  I am now very keen to try my hand at Ganache. I must admit I have not yet looked into Modelling chocolate. That will be on my " must try" list. I'm the meantime I shall keep practicing.  Once again thank you for your advice and i hope that your cakes turn out to be wonderful, good luck and happy baking.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%