Topsy Turvy Cake Help Asap Please!!

Decorating By Knforsyth88 Updated 2 Apr 2016 , 9:41pm by Knforsyth88

Knforsyth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Knforsyth88 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 6:20am
post #1 of 7

Ok ladies and gentlemen.....so I did a 2 tier topsy turvy baby shower cake earlier today and everything went so good and I got finished about 2-3pm. So I stored my cake in a cool place..etc..etc..and came down stairs at 6 and it fell apart..I need help on how to cut and stack the cake. I'm currently working on my second attempt and it's 2:18am..cake is due tomorrow at 4..I really need help. I won't have time for a 3rd attempt.

Thanks a ton!!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 8:11am
post #2 of 7

What do you mean by "it fell apart"? How did you support the top tier? Did you dowel it? Was it level? How big are the tiers? Etc etc...Some more info's please.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 8:16am
post #3 of 7

Is it the blue one you posted in the gallery?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 10:29am
post #4 of 7

depending on which method you used, if you used the one where you cut out a hole in the top of one tier in order to set the smaller tier into that hole -- you gotta make that hole just a little too big -- you want exactly no pressure at all on that collar of cake surrounding the 'hole' 

and - if this is your method -- you need to carve that hole to fit the angle of the side of the smaller cake -- so you've carved out a spot where the bottom of the cake will sit -- now check that the top of the 'hole' is wide enough for the next tier to sit there -- 

in other words if you use this method -- cut the hole out flat on the bottom and at an angle up the side -- so the hole is larger at the top so the next tier fits without squishing and cracking/breaking --

it's often the pressure point where cakes made with this method have issues --

you still out there -- how you doing? hope you're sleeping it off!

Knforsyth88 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 7

Yes it's the blue one. I figured out what I did. The cake was too moist and I cut the tiers wrong..I got my second attempt right. I will post some pics.

Knforsyth88 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 7

I couldn't get back on here last night, my phone wouldn't load the page.. :-( I just had to do the best I could. Thank you for all the help.

Knforsyth88 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 7

Check out the new one. I think it looks better..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%