Wedding Cake Sizes & Buttercream On Fondant?

Decorating By cakechic87 Updated 31 Mar 2016 , 2:36pm by costumeczar

cakechic87 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 3

What size cakes do you think are on this wedding cake? I'm thinking the top starts with a 4 inch, but what are the others? Also, it looks like a fondant cake, but there are buttercream rosettes.... I've never piped buttercream roses on a fondant cake before (only buttercream on buttercream). Is this possible? Will the buttercream roses stick to the fondant? I'm worried it would fall or slide off (the wedding is in May & it gets really hot & humid here).

And my last question is... I see there is some cake lace on two of the tiers, but I can't make out what the pattern is (photo is kinda blurry & washed out)... anyone know what pattern was used on this cake? Even if it's something similar, a name of the pattern, a link to a mold or premade lace would be great! Thanks in advance!

900_wedding-cake-sizes-butt_89270356fd2fbd56946.jpg

2 replies
cakechic87 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 3

I just found the photo on google of this cake... after seeing the clearer photo, I'm starting to think that the lace on the cake is real lace like the bow behind the sunflower?

900_wedding-cake-sizes-butt_89270356fd30b1618c1.jpg

costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 3

I'd guess those sizes are 4-6-8-10, and that the cake is a display cake with royal icing ruffles. If it isn't, you could just use buttercream on the ruffle tiers and not worry about covering them with fondant, ti's an unnecessary step. If the other tiers are fondant it's very possible that the lace is just a real piece of lace, that would definitely be the easiest way to do it. The orange ribbon part does look like a real ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%