6 Inch Buttercream Cake Disaster

Baking By humpty Updated 31 Mar 2016 , 2:53pm by humpty

humpty Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 11

Hello lovely bakers!

So I'm having a little trouble with my 6 inch buttercream covered cakes.

I like my cakes to be tall (8 inches or higher). The height has never been a problem with cakes that are wider than 6 inches but its proving to be very hit-or-miss when it comes to cakes that are 6 inches wide.

I've seen some really beautiful tall buttercream cakes which have a width of 6 inches...how are they doing it?!

Should I be dowelling these cakes so they don't collapse on transport? Any tips would be seriously appreciated.. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure how to transport these cakes without it falling! 

Help needed from a baffled baker!

10 replies
CatherineGeorge Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 11

Do you make them 8" tall without a board in the middle? Or two normal tiers, both 6" and about 4/5" tall, stacked and iced together? I do the latter, with a central dowel and straws to support for the top tier, without problems. 

humpty Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 11

I don't put a board in the middle.. it never occurred to me to do that! Doh! Now that I'm envisaging it, that does make sense.. :D

But wouldn't it be a little awkward to cut through particularly as its only a buttercream cake (not ganached/covered in fondant)

640Cake Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 11

A board in the center would actually make it easier for slicing.  Otherwise, you have 8" of cake falling onto a plate, which would be too small (if using dessert (small) plates).  Placing a board in the middle allows you to slice a typical 4" slice, which is easier to place onto a plate.  Pretty slices as opposed to heaps of cake (8" slice piled up to fit onto a plate).

humpty Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 11

I can't believe it didn't even enter my mind to place a board in the middle! It makes so much sense looking at the cake below.. that has to be a dowelled cake with at least 3 tiers!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/10354524_1516454085323564_2068325591_n.jpg

I do have one concern, so when I dowel a ganached/fondant covered cake, I'll spread a little royal icing to make sure the the cakes don't move. Obviously doing that for this kind of thing wouldn't work. How do I ensure the separate cake tiers don't move in the tall cake?

humpty Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you @CatherineGeorge ‍ & @640Cake ‍ 

You guys are amazing!

costumeczar Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 11

You should dowel about every 4" supporting the cake above it. 

Magda_MI Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:58am
post #8 of 11

AS mentioned, you want to make each 4" or so of cake a separate tier, structurally speaking (though you can ice them together after stacking to give the appearance of one tall tier).  I've occasionally stretched that to 6", but never any further than that.

640Cake Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 11

Quote by @humpty on 15 hours ago

... Obviously doing that for this kind of thing wouldn't work. How do I ensure the separate cake tiers don't move in the tall cake?

I "glue" my cakes with buttercream and find that sufficient.  Ganache would work, too.

annagon Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 11

Do some googling on double barrel cakes for some pointers on construction.

humpty Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 11

I did a bit of YouTubing on tall cakes last night and found a few videos in which instead of placing a card every 4 inches, they simply dowelled the cake the whole way through. I think I'm going to tray both methods and see which works best for me.

My anxiety level when it comes to 6 inch cakes has definitely gone down since reading all these comments.. :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%