Do You Know How I'd Make This Font In Fondant?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 30 Mar 2016 , 11:54pm by deb4cakes2

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a Team Fortress cake for my nephew and I'd like to put his name "Alex" on the cake using the same font as the video game logo.  Do you know how I'd make the font out of fondant?  Thanks!!!!

7fa46fc2a5c53109c78dddf8a1746a4a.jpg

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

If you have a cutting machine it would be easy......

If you don't, it's a bit more work but can be done.

1.  Check a font site like www.dafont.com and see if you can find that font listed and download it.  If not, search for video game fonts and see if you can find something close enough.

2.  Print out your message (regular paper is fine, but cardstock makes a better template because it is more stiff) the size you need it then cut it out.  I would cut the background out first then the letters from a second copy.

3.  If you are trying for the graduated color of the background you could air brush it or lay down 2-3 strips of different shades and roll their edged together.

4.  Using you cut out background, lay it on your fondant and cut it out with a VERY SHARP xacto knife!  Cover and set aside.

5.  Cut you letters out the same way from another color of fondant, and that little black thingy if you are using it.

6.  If you chill it all first, it will be easier to assemble.

7.  When ready, lightly moisten the back of the letters and position on the background the press lightly to adhere.

8.  Chill the whole thing until firm, them place on your cake.

weluvpiggies Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 6

Great, thanks!  I don't have a cutter and I was thinking along those lines, but any extra tips are always welcomed.

Thanks for the help! :)

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

I recently did hand cut some lettering on this cake. My tips would be:

Print out on cardstock.

Don't roll your fondant too thin.

Transfer the fondant to a piece of baking parchment. That way you don't have to pick it up when it's cut out.

Let the fondant sit for a while to firm up.

Stick the card cutout to the fondant using a bit of veg shortening.

Use a sharp blade to score the outline of the shape. Then remove the template and cut through. This seemed to work better than cutting in one go.

(And everything Jeff_Arnett said).

[postimage id="3415" thumb="900"]

weluvpiggies Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 6

Great, thanks for the tips!  I can't seem to find the font I want on the website mentioned or anywhere else.  I guess now I'd just like to know if anyone knows where I can find a similar font. thanks!

deb4cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb4cakes2 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 6

Hi I looked up that on the web and it said that it was a font called Compacta, which is a grotesque sans serif font designed by Fred Lambert and published by Letraset.  You can then download the Compacta font free.  Hope this helps.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%