I'm making a Team Fortress cake for my nephew and I'd like to put his name "Alex" on the cake using the same font as the video game logo. Do you know how I'd make the font out of fondant? Thanks!!!!
If you have a cutting machine it would be easy......
If you don't, it's a bit more work but can be done.
2. Print out your message (regular paper is fine, but cardstock makes a better template because it is more stiff) the size you need it then cut it out. I would cut the background out first then the letters from a second copy.
3. If you are trying for the graduated color of the background you could air brush it or lay down 2-3 strips of different shades and roll their edged together.
4. Using you cut out background, lay it on your fondant and cut it out with a VERY SHARP xacto knife! Cover and set aside.
5. Cut you letters out the same way from another color of fondant, and that little black thingy if you are using it.
6. If you chill it all first, it will be easier to assemble.
7. When ready, lightly moisten the back of the letters and position on the background the press lightly to adhere.
8. Chill the whole thing until firm, them place on your cake.
Great, thanks! I don't have a cutter and I was thinking along those lines, but any extra tips are always welcomed.
Thanks for the help! :)
I recently did hand cut some lettering on this cake. My tips would be:
Print out on cardstock.
Don't roll your fondant too thin.
Transfer the fondant to a piece of baking parchment. That way you don't have to pick it up when it's cut out.
Let the fondant sit for a while to firm up.
Stick the card cutout to the fondant using a bit of veg shortening.
Use a sharp blade to score the outline of the shape. Then remove the template and cut through. This seemed to work better than cutting in one go.
(And everything Jeff_Arnett said).
Great, thanks for the tips! I can't seem to find the font I want on the website mentioned or anywhere else. I guess now I'd just like to know if anyone knows where I can find a similar font. thanks!
Hi I looked up that on the web and it said that it was a font called Compacta, which is a grotesque sans serif font designed by Fred Lambert and published by Letraset. You can then download the Compacta font free. Hope this helps.