Question About Doubling Cake Mixes

Baking By Sarahw13 Updated 31 Mar 2016 , 2:08am by kakeladi

Sarahw13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahw13 Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone I have asked a few questions this week and I'm sorry to be a pest but everyone's help has been so helpful so thank you xx

anyway I have a 3 tier cake to make soon haven't made anything over 2 tiers before I usually bake from scratch but this time I am using betty Crocker cake mix I wanted to no about doubling it as will need more then the 1 box when I double it does it mean I have to double the amount of water eggs vegetable oil that you add to the mix too etc  

sorry if this sounds silly I have never used a box cake before 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

yes double all the ingredients if you use two at a time --

ask all the questions you want

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome Sarahw to our forum.  Your post is very hard to read when you do not use punctuation.  If I read your ? right, yes do do need to use all the ingredients called for on each box.  I realize this ? was posted  yesterday and maybe by now you have already made the cake but.........you need to understand that many mixer bowls will not hold 2 boxes of mix and their added ingredients so I'd like to encourage you to try my WASC recipe.   http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe    What size are the tiers you are making?  If this amount of batter goes into more than one pan, you might be better off making each box seperately instead of doubling. 

Sarahw13 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 8

Hello sorry about the punctuation.

The cakes I am making are  12" 10" and 8 " 

All 3" high 

kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 8

I assume those will be rounds.  Are the finished cake tiers 3" tall OR each pan used to bake in 3" deep?

For a 10"Rx3" deep pan use one batch of the WASC recipe.  (There may be enough extra batter to make some cupcakes or add it to the 12"round.)  For the 12" 1 batch of the recipe should be just right or maybe add the extra batter from the 10".  You can get 2 8x3"Rs from one batch.  So all together you would need 5 batches.  And as I said before, make each batch separately unless you have a 10 qt or larger mixer.

Sarahw13 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 8

That's brilliant thank you for your help xx

Sarahw13 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 8

Hi can I just ask on the betty crocker mix it says to add

• 90 ml vegetable oil (6 tbsp)
  • 180 ml water
  • 3 medium free range eggs
  • do I still add this plus everything from the wasc recipe too

kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 2:08am
post #8 of 8

No do not add those ingredients.  Follow the recipe as posted.  IF you are not going to use the WASC recipe then you do use those ingredients per cake mix used.  But then the quantity will be different and you will have to figure out how many mixes needed for each size. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%