When To Use Shortening?

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 30 Mar 2016 , 9:21am by joeyww12000

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I always use high fat ratio shortening in my buttercream because I feel it gives it more body and holds up under fondant. Also if i dont use fondant it crusts well and i can get it very smooth. However, I like that light airy taste of only butter. What kind do you guys use most consistently?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

butter

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

i never deliver cakes unboxed -- they are in climate controlled corrugated cardboard boxes sometimes with ice packs in there -- holds cold cake perfectly well --

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 6

so in other words -- butter melts in the 90s right so here in memphis it barely cools off to the 90s overnight sometimes (might be a slight exageration) but suffice it to say it's hot & humid and i don't go driving around thinking my car's air conditioner will hold my cake -- open one door and the temp zooms 25 degrees -- no thank you --

so butter is not as stable as the hr shortening but it surpasses in taste, tecture and smell so....just be careful delivering

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

I love all butter but found it doesn't have the stability to survive hot rooms or humid and hot.  So I now do a 50-50% of hi ratio shortening and butter.. shortening helps hold it and butter gives the flavour. If it is really hot and humid I will do a 65-shortening and 35 % butter.   My boss goes all hi ratio shortening... but I can always taste that grease...in spite of the great extracts used... Put some butter in for taste.  

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:21am
post #6 of 6

I do 50/50 and I use the walmart shortening for baking and frying. I saw a baker/decorator who used it so I tried it. You don't get the greasy taste or feel at all, like you do with an all vegetable oil product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%