When To Use Shortening?

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 30 Mar 2016 , 9:21am by joeyww12000

joeyww12000 Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I always use high fat ratio shortening in my buttercream because I feel it gives it more body and holds up under fondant. Also if i dont use fondant it crusts well and i can get it very smooth. However, I like that light airy taste of only butter. What kind do you guys use most consistently?

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

i never deliver cakes unboxed -- they are in climate controlled corrugated cardboard boxes sometimes with ice packs in there -- holds cold cake perfectly well --

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 6

so in other words -- butter melts in the 90s right so here in memphis it barely cools off to the 90s overnight sometimes (might be a slight exageration) but suffice it to say it's hot & humid and i don't go driving around thinking my car's air conditioner will hold my cake -- open one door and the temp zooms 25 degrees -- no thank you --

so butter is not as stable as the hr shortening but it surpasses in taste, tecture and smell so....just be careful delivering

sewsugarqueen Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

I love all butter but found it doesn't have the stability to survive hot rooms or humid and hot.  So I now do a 50-50% of hi ratio shortening and butter.. shortening helps hold it and butter gives the flavour. If it is really hot and humid I will do a 65-shortening and 35 % butter.   My boss goes all hi ratio shortening... but I can always taste that grease...in spite of the great extracts used... Put some butter in for taste.  

joeyww12000 Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 9:21am
post #6 of 6

I do 50/50 and I use the walmart shortening for baking and frying. I saw a baker/decorator who used it so I tried it. You don't get the greasy taste or feel at all, like you do with an all vegetable oil product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%