Vertically Layered Layer Cakes

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 29 Mar 2016 , 9:09pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7
6 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 7

I'm too OLD-fashioned to think this is a good idea.  What's the advantage?  I'd have to spend more time studying on this technique to decide if it's o.k. LOL

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 7

it's different for sure -- i like it -- i think the advantage is 'something different' it would loose it's impact for a tier cake though -- needs to be enjoyed in a small environment where there are witnesses to the cutting kwim all sitting around 

julia1812 Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

It's actually not as difficult as it looks like. Bake a thin sheet cake like you would for a swiss roll (if you want the ombre just pour the different tinted batter next to each other from light to dark), bake, roll, cool, fill and re-roll. Place upright and frost outside. Done.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 7

i really liked the one that was a regular three 'layer' cake however the middle layer was vertically layered -- nice

gfbaby Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7

I've done this loads of times; the way julia1812 suggested. I make thin sheet cake (using a fatless sponge recipe), cut pieces the height I want my finished cake to be then smbc them and roll it up joining as needed. The thinner the cake the better the effect and I ombre-ed the smbc so the middle was dark and got lighter toward the outer edge. The middle bit is easiest as it rolls, but then you have to put it flat and wind the cake around the outside. Its messy and time consuming but the finished effect is stunning. I'd put up a picture... but I simply cannot find the darn things!! Good luck!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 7

keep looking gfbaby :)  very cool though -- but still loses it's effect if you don't witness it being cut no?

geez i could see mine unwinding -- the errant ends popping out at the worst moment hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%