The Best Way To Darker Red And Edible Rhinestones For Decorating With Fondant?

Decorating By OMGi8CAKE Updated 5 Apr 2016 , 10:34am by cakebaby2

OMGi8CAKE Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have an opinion about what the best kind of edible rhinestones I should use for embedding in red fondant? And where to get em?

Doing this type of pattern...900_the-best-way-to-darker-re_95322256f98bf9de077.jpg

Bonus: is adding black gel color to the red satin ice fondant the best way to darken the color?

Any help is appreciated :)

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 12:46am
post #2 of 6

Your deep, darker colors take time to develop so make your colored fondant days ahead.  Rather than black I think brown would work better.  Why not try each in a bit of the red.  Don't know how much wait time you have but hope you do have time to fuss w/this.  

nadiacorallo Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 2:25am
post #3 of 6

Adding black to red deepens it to more Ruby red. I honestly don't know how you could do edible rhinestones :-S

I've done rhinestones on a cake but they were never edible, and always on a styrofoam cake 

OMGi8CAKE Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I do have some time, so I will try brown and black. I am going for a deeper ruby color. Thanks for the advice.

I found some isomalt rhinestones at fancyflours.com and ordered them, so fingers crossed I can get the look I want! I would have made my own but I couldn't find the exact mold I was looking for.

Thanks again guys!

nadiacorallo Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 2:45am
post #5 of 6

Cool, good luck! Post pics!

cakebaby2 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:34am
post #6 of 6

Gelatin "diamonds" and rhinestones look very realistic, you can get them on amazon or craft stores. Making them yourself is tricky unless you can find totally clear gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%