How Much Butter And Vanilla To Use For Buttercream!?

Decorating By Charmdesign Updated 27 Mar 2016 , 3:26am by Charmdesign

Charmdesign Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 7

I'm researching and experimenting with different buttercream recipes for frosting cupcakes. I've looked at popular bloggers, big names like Martha Stewart, the back of the Domino package, etc and I'm see huge discrepancies in the amount of vanilla extract and butter being used. I'm seeing some call for  1 stick of butter and some for 2. Some recipes calling for 1 t. vanilla and some for 1 T!

What gives? I want to be classic but not too sweet or gritty. I prefer a hint of almond extract too. Do some recipes lend themselves to less air bubbles or is this just due to beating too long? Air bubbles have been a issue for sometimes.

6 replies
ypierce82 Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

It's not really a discrepancy between the recipes. I use 1T because I love the stronger flavor of vanilla.  As far as air bubbles, I beat my butter cream for 10 minutes and have never had a problem with bubbles. 

Charmdesign Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

I guess I meant varience. Personal taste aside is there a recipe considered "classic" or "old fashioned"? 

What would typically cause pock marks?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 7

pock marks are caused by incorporating too much air -- stirring your icing after mixing it will help -- after applying to the cake running the spatula a different direction will nearly eliminate them -- but mixing your icing forever on low speed helps -- also filling the mixer bowl over the shoulders of the beater will nearly preclude any pock marks at all

-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 7

and you are right about the variances in recipes -- i use 2# powd sugar 2 sticks butter (1/2 pound) and 1/2 cup liquid or less but i squirt in a good amount of vanilla -- couple tablespoons -- becomes aromatherapy at the receptions :)

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 7

I highly suggest you try the recipe on here "2 of everything".  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing  It has the requirements you are looking for.,

Charmdesign Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 3:26am
post #7 of 7

Nice to feel validated in making my own flavor mixes like that recipe suggests.

Shortening scares me though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%