My Caramel Buttercreams Are Broken!

Baking By SweetRunningDream Updated 27 Mar 2016 , 10:55pm by kristykgs

SweetRunningDream Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

I have tried 6 different caramel buttercream recipes and none of them have worked. One of them was too thick to do anything with and broke my piping bag. Two of them just keep separating. One won't thicken for anything. Two ended up like scrambled eggs. I can make a buttercream-- heck I can make a lot of things, but none of my caramel buttercream a work. Does anyone have one?

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 5

What recipes did you try? I put caramel into an IMBC and it works fine.

kristykgs Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

I put homemade caramel sauce in my SMBC and works fine. I would venture to guess it may be your caramel sauce.

SweetRunningDream Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

I've tried both homemade (two kinds) and store bought caramel sauces. Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share?

kristykgs Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 5

Caramel Sauce

3/4 Cup heavy Cream

3 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoon light corn syrup

2 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon Vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

1- Small Saucepan, simmer heavy cream and butter on low long enough to fully melt butter and reach 160 degrees

2- Once butter is melted and 160 degrees, turn off heat but leave mixture in pot

3 - In another medium size pot, combine sugar, water and corn syrup and briefly stir with silicon coated whisk or wooden spoon until water and syrup is even distributed with sugar

4 - Turn to med high heat and allow to cook without stirring, but occasionally rotating pot to distribute heat evenly until caramel reaches amber color around 350 degrees

5 - once caramel is done, remove from heat and whisk quickly and slowly cream mixture into caramel. Wear oven mitts because steam and bubbling is common. Whisk until cream is incorported

6 - Once cream has been mixed, add vanilla and salt

7 - Allow to cool in heat safe bowl or jar. Store for up 4 weeks at room temp

I use Martha Stewart's Swiss Meringue Buttercream.    

I don't care for the "butter taste", so I add in 3/4 cups of confection sugar. Cuts down the butter taste. Very smooth and rich

Quote by @%username% on %date%